HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New to the forum new to hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default New to the forum new to hybrids

hi all, just picked up a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT Trans (143k). Not new to cars, but new to the hybrid world. So far from what I understand, I should do a full tune-up (plugs, oil change, air and cabin, and trans fluid change). Is there anything else I should do/be aware of for this car? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by staley86; 12-15-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New to the forum new to hybrids

Originally Posted by staley86
hi all, just picked up a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT Trans (143k). Not new to cars, but new to the hybrid world. So far from what I understand, I should do a full tune-up (plugs, oil change, air and cabin, and trans fluid change). Is there anything else I should do/be aware of for this car? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome. Sounds good.

Recommendations:
It takes 8 plugs. NGK or DENSO OEM P/N only (don't cheap out). About $14 each from parts store.
0W-20 full synthetic oil
Exactly 3 qts Honda CVT fluid only. Replace every other oil change (more frequent than is required).

Build a grid charger from the Link in my sig and charge/discharge your IMA battery to maximize its life.

Watch for recals. They are a harbinger of doom.

Steve

Old 12-16-2015, 04:38 AM
Enthusiast

With the CVT fluid, should I only be using Honda oem fluid, or is the Valvoline stuff worth trying out? If I end up doing the 3-4 fluid changes to get the old fluid out, could I use Valvoline for the drain and refill, and do the last fill up with Honda cvt?

Also, what in the world are recals? I've tried to do some research on it, but I only seem to find info from people who are past the beginning stages of explanation haha!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:15 AM

Absolutely, positively don't use anything but honda CVT fluid in your transmission. Period. That's what I meant by, "Exactly 3 qts Honda CVT fluid only". Note the "only".

If you happen to find another brand of CVT fluid (I think there's another), the answer is the same: Honda only.

Recals

More reading:

HCH2 FAQ

A/C tips

Steve

Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the info! I'm going to get started tonight. Gonna order the cvt fluid from bernardiparts.com, they always have the best oe Honda pricing.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 AM

check with your local dealer. You may find that it's more cost effective. My dealer chargers $9 and change, and when you factor in shipping, I haven't found a better deals.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

So the local dealer wanted $15 a quart for CVT fluid, ended up getting it online for $7ish dollars. I just finished the air and cabin filters and spark plugs. Just waiting on my CVT fluid to show up so I can get that taken care of.

The 12v battery seems to be a dud, I noticed a few people upgraded to the 51R vs. the 151R oe. I know the plastic has to be removed, but does the original battery hold down work with the 51R?

bernardiparts.com seems to be the best place to get OEM parts since the two local dealer are charging an arm and a leg for parts.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 AM

Yes. I vigorously recommend a 51R. I have one in both of mine.

My dealer is a little less rape-y on the CVT... about $9.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
check with your local dealer. You may find that it's more cost effective. My dealer chargers $9 and change, and when you factor in shipping, I haven't found a better deals.
Honestly, this is what I got:
Amazon.com: Genuine Honda (08200-9006-12PK) CVT-1 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Pack of 12): Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda (08200-9006-12PK) CVT-1 Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Pack of 12): Automotive

12 quarts for 91.91, comes out to 7.65 a quart, sure it's only a difference in 15 bucks, but just throwing it out there

It's worth checking out your EGR Valve and port, mine was absolutely clogged with carbon dust and caused numerous issues (misfiring, low power, etc)

Last edited by Valalvax; 12-20-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM

I may have to go that route... with 4CVT in the house, that case is one round of fluid changes...

Quick Reply: New to the forum new to hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands