HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New member considering purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default New member considering purchase

Hello all

I am new to this forum, and I was interested in getting feedback on the Civic hybrid. I like the Accord styling, and I do like the way the Accord handles the road. However, I like the fact that the civic mileage is very good. Has anyone here had a chance to compare the Civic to the Accord?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New member considering purchase

Bob,
The primary difference in the hybrid design for the two cars is that the Accord is classified (loosly) as a "muscle" hybrid. The civic uses the hybrid design to maximize mileage. The Accord uses the hybrid design to maximize power.

So if you're looking for great mileage, go with the Civic. But if you want to use the hybrid to get great acceleration and better than average gas mileage, the Accord is for you.

Simplified explanation, but that's what it comes down to...

Old 01-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

but do they both have similar handling characteristics? Braking and cornering are the main concerns. I also want enough get up and go to be able to get on the expressways

Old 01-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Bob Stevens
but do they both have similar handling characteristics? Braking and cornering are the main concerns. I also want enough get up and go to be able to get on the expressways
Both the Civic Hybrid and the Accord hybrid have very good stopping ability. But in the handling department nothing beats a finely tune double-wishbone suspension. Sadly, Honda stopped offering such suspension arrangement for the previous civic generation. The current generation continues the sad trend.
On the other hand, the Accord is inherently a better handling car because it retains this legendary Honda suspension arrangement.

Both cars have enough pickup to merge into most expressways. The Civic may require better planning and prudence before attempting a "close call" merge.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

So it sounds like the Civic doesn't have good handling then?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Bob Stevens
So it sounds like the Civic doesn't have good handling then?
At the exception of the accord, the Civic is without any doubt the best handling economy hybrid on the market. Far superior to the Prius or even (some would claim as good or better than the Camry hybrid).

However, the Civic hybrid is NOT a sports car and as such has definitely lost the handling legacy in favor or a more sedate suspension arrangement. But still, when comparing the Civic to the Accord most would agree: the Accord carries Honda's handling flag better.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I LIKE

This vehicle is designed with MPG in mind if you want performance and handling wait till the 400+hp toyota FT-HS comes out (if ever). but I cant complain about the HCHII I live in So-Cal with our sucky drivers and dont have a problem merging on the highway and there arent really any good places down here with sharp hairpin turns or long banked out sweepers either. I did live in hawaii with this car (HCHII)and we have several good roads to run down on and I never had a problem with handling. The suspension could use a bit of tweaking though.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Energy Independence

Bob, welcome to the club!

Why not drive them both yourself? One persons "good enough" handling is another persons "wouldn't be caught dead driving that" experience.
If you are wanting anything resembling a GREAT handling & performance vehicle, the Civic is not for you. Nor is ANY Civic (other than the Si, but its MPG is lacking). What are you used to driving now? And is its handling/acceleration acceptable to you?

If you cannot find a hybrid on the lot, try the non-hybrid versions, to get a feel for the handling. The hybrid version will be similar. The Civic Hybrid, with its CVT tranny, will feel different when accelerating than a regular Civic, though (and kinda cool).
The Accord Hybrid is a tremendous and luxurious car, but MPG suffers more than it needed to. It's a tad expensive, but you get a lot of car. Tax credit is not as good as the Civic Hybrid's.
The Civic Hybrid is a nice balance (I think) of high MPG with decent comfort and handling. Acceleration is not great, but I (and most others) find it sufficient. I think it's fun to drive, but if you try to drive it like a hot-rod, you'll be sorely disappointed in its performance AND in its MPG.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Another option is lowering the HCHII. That would improve the handling greatly. There are many ways to do this from springs to coilovers. It can range from a couple of hundred to a thousand. But, I would change the springs and struts or just get coil overs. I am not too sure if the HFP suspension will work on the HCHII, I have been looking into that. But, I know somebody that did lower his HCH...tblaneo did. You could PM him.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the Accord also has traction control while the Civic does not. Me and my boss swapped cars in the parking lot (he has the accord hybrid) and there is a huge difference between the two performance wise and this is just in the parking lot! We never got above 30-35mph (though it was a long empty parking lot) but the Accord with its 6 cylinders just wanted to pick up and go! Granted only going to 35mph at most and not being overly aggressive (we were in a parking lot after all) you can still make the Civic complain, I heard nothing from the Accord. Also the Accord must have double the insulation than the Civic as it pretty dead quiet in the Accord, while on my Civic you start to hear some road noise when you get close to 30mph (both cars had tires inflated to dealer spec, which is probably 35psi). Actually if you do get to try both out you can tell just by opening the doors, the Accord doors are noticeably heavier than the Civic's.

As far as the Civic being able to pull onto the ramp, it'll do it. I've had no issues, but then again I've been driving 4 bangers all my life. It is sorta deceiving as the electric torque is amazing from 0 to 10-15mph but after that it is definately a 4 banger and you'll know it for sure not only in sound but also acceleration once the electric has done all it can.

I'm not a car nut so I can't tell you anything about body roll or such but the power steering on the Accord is alot meatier than the Civic. Hardly any effort to start a sharp turn while on my Civic you do have to put some muscle into it. Again we were in the parking lot so it's not like we were doing this at high speed. The two are definately tuned very differently such that they really are two different cars even though they are both hybrids.

Quick Reply: New member considering purchase

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands