HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Newbie question about assessing battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Newbie question about assessing battery

The goal was to get a good deal on a car with good MPG. I was not planning to spend this much money.

The 2006 Civic Hybrid has 77,000 miles on it priced "as is" for $9200

According to NADA that's a pretty good price so we jumped on it.

I drove it home, runs great, quick enough, everything works.

Question; what does one have to do to get a full charge on the battery?

It was showing two lines when i left the lot and climbed to about 3/4 after a few miles and stayed there for the rest of a 55 mile drive.

Is the real time fuel consumption accurate?

I played around with resetting the trip odometer at different speeds and got different MPGs that seemed about right- 49mpg @55, 46mpg@65, 41MPG @ 80

Like any used hybrid owner, i am most concerned about battery life and I'm looking for ways to assess whether or not i got a good one.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie question about assessing battery

Originally Posted by hertfordnc
The goal was to get a good deal on a car with good MPG. I was not planning to spend this much money.

The 2006 Civic Hybrid has 77,000 miles on it priced "as is" for $9200

According to NADA that's a pretty good price so we jumped on it.

I drove it home, runs great, quick enough, everything works.

Question; what does one have to do to get a full charge on the battery?

It was showing two lines when i left the lot and climbed to about 3/4 after a few miles and stayed there for the rest of a 55 mile drive.
By "climbed to 3/4", I assume you meant 75% or 6 bars (out of the maximum possible 8) -- in which I'd not worry about it especially given you mentioned it stayed there for the rest of the trip.

Read this forum and cleanmpg -- there are tons of useful articles/posts that give you tips about dealing with your HCH, what to expect, etc. Let me get you started with this post [Obvious disclaimer: Your mileage will vary, and do not do anything unsafe!]

Is the real time fuel consumption accurate?
For the most part, the real time and the average trip gauges are pretty accurate -- I'd say within 5% or so. Of course the best way to measure would be to calculate MPG between full tank fill-ups.

I played around with resetting the trip odometer at different speeds and got different MPGs that seemed about right- 49mpg @55, 46mpg@65, 41MPG @ 80
Sounds about right - the car is designed for speeds between 35 and 55 mpg, give or take.

Like any used hybrid owner, i am most concerned about battery life and I'm looking for ways to assess whether or not i got a good one.
Thanks
Good start. Read this forum for what you need to watch out for, etc. Most owners have a pretty good experience but some have terrible issues that Honda will not fix that easily, and you should be aware of the signs to look for.

Good luck!

Cheers,
-ag

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie question about assessing battery

The realtime fuel consumption on the HCHII is pretty accurate, actually slightly pessismistic, ie: if you calculate you'll find you got slightly better. From your description the state of your IMA battery sounds pretty good: it's normal for state of charge to be floating anywhere between 40 and 80 percent. Full charge will happen occasionally, typically after or during a long downhill run.