HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

One more newbie for Team HCHII !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default One more newbie for Team HCHII !!!

Hello all,

First off, thanks for all the great information on this site, both the forums and articles. And a special 3 Cheers for TaraBell and her fantastic tips on how to increase your MPGs (http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306) I'm excited to learn and try out these tricks of the trade (and get all those acronyms straight )

I bought my first Hybrid yesterday - the HCH II after the usual long debate between the Prius and the HCHII (Thanks to ALL my friends, family, coworkers, every single salesperson in every dealership in my region, etc for all their patience!). I just couldn't justify the extra $4000-$6000 price tag on the Prius -- fold-down seats would be nice, and they definitely come in a better color selection. But the HCHII seemed like a much better value /bang-for-the-buck and I really like the sporty feel of the HCHII.

About my purchase: 2008 HCHII in Magnetic Pearl (oh how it shines!) with blue interior. No Navigation. Includes wheel locks and door guards. Out the door price (after all taxes, tags, fees, etc): $21,440 and we got an amazing 1.9% financing for 36 months. Purchased in Rockville, Maryland though we live in northern Virginia (Fairfax County).

About my old purchases: I was a European-car-Kinda-Lady before this. Started out with a late 80's Volvo 240 Sedan (the classic!); then went without a car for 5 years while living city life. Then a 1996 Volvo 960 Sedan. My partner/fiancee/better half drove a 99 Honda Accord, then a fun 2002 BMW 325. We returned recently from being abroad for a year and were in the market for cars again. He's now driving a free but old 90's Buick Century (gramps old car) and we got the HCHII for me.

So anyways -- I'm excited to join the many HCHII owners out here. If you've got any tips or tricks to share on, please do!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
VirginiaGirl

Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: One more newbie for Team HCHII !!!

Oh -- and I forgot to ask/mention:

My first day driving, I noticed the car is pulling to the right on the highway. It had 11 miles on the odometer when I bought it. It now (24 hours later) has about 40-50 miles. Has anyone else experienced this alignment problem on a new car purchase? Is that normal?

I'll be calling the dealer later today when they open.

Thanks

Last edited by VirginiaLady; 05-04-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

VirginiaLady, it should not pull to the right! I went through the same sanario as you and ended up with a HCH11 as well, great driving car. I managed 62 mpg over 50 miles yesterday! my best ever for the distance. Enjoy your HCH, Cheers, H

Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Energy Independence

Welcome to the club!
You'll enjoy this car, I bet.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

A new car shouldn't have any alignment problems, your dealer should align them for free since you recently purchased it.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
HypoFueler

Yes - do have the dealer check the alignment AND give you the results. Many HCH2s have had some alignment issues along with rear camber problems.

Otherwise - with gentle driving you should get great fuel economy!

Last edited by spartybrutus; 05-04-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

VirginiaGirl:

Welcome and congratulations on your new HCH-II.

As the previous posters mentioned your vehicle is likely to require an alignment in order to solve your issue.
As many already know, I ALWAYS have the dealership perform an alignment for every new car I get that was assembled in Japan (Honda or Toyota). That is my golden rule and up until this day I always had some kind of correction that was caught upon delivery.In fact, my dealership now performs an alignment on every new HCH-II they sell.

So yes, see you dealer and have them to look into it.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Think green.

Welcome.
I enjoyed reading your story. I also took quite a while to figure out which hybrid to purchase. I think you will enjoy the HCH-II.
You say your partner got a free 90's Buick Century? If it's anything like my 90's Oldsmobile Ciera, its sister car, it should be capable of getting some pretty good highway mpg's. Not as good as the HCH, though! (And in city driving, you will beat your partner's car, hands down.)
Definitely take the Honda in so they can take care of that alignment problem.
Best of luck to you with your new car.
As for tips, I see you found Tarabell's article, so that will come in very handy I'm sure.
Basically I stay at the speed limit, leave plenty of room between myself and the car I'm following, and keep an eye on my tire pressures so they don't get too low.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have an 07 that pulled to the right even after its 3rd alignment, the rear control arm fix resolved the problem....I understand the 08's have been corrected on this problem but maybe you should have the dealer take a look just for laughs.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
iEnthusiast

Hey there! I just got my new 08 HCHII last weekend and I am just loving it... Welcome to the forums!

Quick Reply: One more newbie for Team HCHII !!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands