HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Poll: What's your best tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll: What's your best tank?

Originally Posted by ohybrid
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. My best is 49.1 mpg. I mostly drive the LA freeways 65 miles per hour with cruise control. For those getting in the high 50's and low 60's are you using 87, 89 or 91/92 octane and from which oil company do you primarily use? I drive her real easy, slow off the line and stay within the speed limit. Thanks for responding.
I'm using 85 octane, usually from Costco. I'm at 4000 feet though, so 85 octance works the same as 87 at sea level. I dirve the speed limit and use cruise control a lot. I'm not willing to make myself a road hazard to get 10 or 20 percent better fuel economy so I accellerate reasonably, coast to red lights, and use cruise control a lot. My lifetime average over a little more than 20,000 miles is 50 MPG. Not good results around here, but I get where I'm going on time and don't **** too many people off.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Best tank?

I've got a bunch of 500~520 mile tanks but nothing better. The local commute route is not conducive to anything beyond 45~48 mpg, and road trips are not much longer than 300~400 miles so I just don't have any routes that I can really stretch things out.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ha ha...mdarmistead...reading your posts is almost exactly what I experience with my wife at the end of every tank. I told her that because we fill it every 18 days, she forgets that we've had the exact same conversation before.

Once we were in a major traffic jam in Philadelphia where Homeland Security shut down one of the 2 bridges to NJ. We had 1 gas pip left, but when that baby disappeared I thought she was going to hyperventilate. We were in that mess for over an hour and we still had more than 2 gallons left when we finally filled up, which she insisted that we do right away.

I've finally convinced her that there is nothing to worry about. The most I've ever had to put in was 11 gallons.

Unfortunately, it will take you several tanks to finally convince her. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Energy Independence

54.0 MPG and 566 miles on the tank (same tank). It was just 5 or 6 tanks ago. I'm slowly getting better, and am going to conquer that 47 MPG lifetime average in another couple of tanks!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

Jess,
You don't know my wife! I can guarantee you that there will NEVER be a time when she gets used to it...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My SO hates how I drive.

We even joke about taking two cars when we go somewhere together.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Amazingly, I'm going to have my best tank follow one of my worst! We took a 600 mile trip with a trunk mounted bike rack (first time using it). That brought us down to 47. My first sub-50 mpg tank in 52 full tanks!! The current tank is vastly different! I'm currently at 220 miles with 59.5 displayed (should be well over 60, due to the usual error). I'm hoping for my first 60+ tank. Best (prior to this) was 56 a couple of years ago.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 AM
F**k ExxonMobil

working on a 54mpg tank right now.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 AM
HypoFueler

Got a 65mpg tank last Summer along with a couple of other 60+ tanks.

Basically drove on daily commute (at ~65mpg) and not on weekends with a fair amount of CC at 55-60mph max.

Cant seem to pull down those numbers this Summer. Probably due to having to switch to Michelin MXV4 tires (from OEM Dunlops) and control arm TSB last December.

Not complaining as 54mpg lifetime is 2x last daily driver...

Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

The primary reason are the tires. Too bad you were not able to get the Michelin Pilot Exalto. You could have probably improved on your dunlop numbers.

Quick Reply: Poll: What's your best tank?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands