HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Power Outlet location

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Pale Driver
Default Power Outlet location

Does anyone have an idea why Honda put an outlet inside the center compartment between the front seats? It's not exactly a useful spot. Am I missing an obvious reason?? I realize I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but it seems a much better location would have been somewhere in the back seat area-like where a passenger there could access it.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Outlet location

It's a pretty common location actually--my old Subaru had one in the same spot. However, the Subaru had a little cut out for a cable to come out of the cubby when the door was closed (which is lacking on my '06 HCH). I keep my iPod plugged into that power outlet which makes it easier to stash the iPod when I park somewhere sketchy since I don't have a tell-tale power cord in sight still.

My MMH has a plug on the back of the center console for the back seaters to use, but no one ever uses it (we don't have kids).

Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

kristian, route your power cable out the side I've had a laptop AC cord out that way with no trouble at all.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

I keep my cell phone charger in there. Since I don't typically use it in the car, I think that's a good spot for the charger. You can easily run any car charger cable out the top corner and close the lid without any problems. Your other option is to use the one under the climate control area. I typically reserved that one for the iPod charger when I was in the car if I needed to charge it up.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
kristian, route your power cable out the side I've had a laptop AC cord out that way with no trouble at all.
I do that, but every time I open up the console, the cord flops into the center section again where the latch is. I hardly notice it anymore, but it used to annoy me somewhat when we first got the car.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Pale Driver

See, ya just gotta ask the right people. Thanks-I didn't realize a cable would escape out the side w/o pinching.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by kristian
I do that, but every time I open up the console, the cord flops into the center section again where the latch is. I hardly notice it anymore, but it used to annoy me somewhat when we first got the car.
Duck tape, my friend. It's like the Force... light side, dark side, and binds the universe together