HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problems Fixing 63-mile Bug??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Problems Fixing 63-mile Bug??

I've noted a number of references to poor repairs done by Honda on the 63-mile bug in the mpg calculator. I'm supposed to get mine fixed this week and I'm a little hesitant now. What problems have people had getting this fixed?
Thx!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:31 AM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl
Default Re: Problems Fixing 63-mile Bug??

Well, I will tell you my story.

First, they weren't sure if my issue was related to the "service advisory" that Honda sent out. Although mine did not reset every 63 miles, it never kept a "memory" of miles, and the average would vary daily from 35-65 mpg. Never was close to the actual 48 mpg that I get at the pump.

I explained to my dealer that I was conficent that it was all related. He finally said he would order the part. A month later (they told me it would be a few days), after not hearing a word from the dealer I called and confirmed that the part was in. I took it in the next day.

The dealer called me to say that they could not get thier computer to reset the new odometer and they would have to send it off to ? to get it "programed". It would take at least 2 weeks for this to happen. So I got my car back at the end of the day with my mileage indicators all saying "---------" all the time. The actual large LED mileage did work at least, but nothing else. They told me it would start with 0 instead of the 12k miles I already had on the car.

2 weeks goes by and they called me to say the new odometer has been reset and to bring back the car. I did that the next day, they had it replaced in 2 hrs, and all is well.

Bad: Having to deal with them 3 different times to get it fixed. Not really beleiving me or the "service advisory".

Good: Its fixed (replaced) and works correctly now. First tank of gas with within 1 mpg of actual (at the pump). They included a rental car for the 2 days it was at the dealer.

I know others have had no problems, where others had the same issue of having them send off the unit for resetting the mileage.

Do it.

Its nice to really know what sort of mileage you are getting before filling up the tank. Make sure they have the part first.

Bob, 06 HCH #001055

Old 09-10-2006, 06:53 PM

Thanks, Bob. I remember seeing something about the dealer putting stickers on the display with mileage numbers after the odo wouldn't work, etc. And I was a little reluctant to make my car look so junky so fast.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 PM

But...if the dealer had to send out the odo, and you kept driving the car, how did they know what to set the odo at? Did you get hosed on miles?