HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rant of the Month

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rant of the Month

GM doesn't have to develop a new hybrid... they already made the electric car. Why doesn't GM just simply remarket the electric car?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Someone mentioned law enforcement and GM.

I doubt we'd ever see hybrid's among the police. Most cars in the force I would think need the the ability to be able to run down and pull over the average speeded. I don't think the basic hybrid would cut it. They would need a more powerful sports hybrid which going into costly territory.

In NYC or other metro areas small hybrid cars or SUV's might work, but in the endless stretch of suburbia a you need a bit more of the V8 power of the vic. Or those new Chargers. I'm seeing those wearing the CT staties dark blue.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I doubt we'd ever see hybrid's among the police.
What about AS in Crown Victorias? Since cops are always sitting there idling their engines....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arbittan
ChicagoHCHII,
I feel where you are coming from but I also don't....

GM currently manufactures the Buses here in the Washington DC area. Of those buses, they are a mix of Natural Gas, Hybrid/Electric, and regular Gas. Now the Hybrid Bus might not save a lot in Gas but it is saving something...

I wouldn't want the older buses that GM use to make for us. We have less smog in our area now because of the usage of these "not so great" hybrids.....

I want to say more but I will reserve...

Thanks
That's useful progress on the part of GM. Obviously, hybrid busses will save significant fuel for a transit agency, just as the electric engines, made by GM, used by MARC and Amtrak for their trains in the northeast do. GM obviously has the potential...

Now if they could just do the same beyond a 2-mode Tahoe, we'd be in business...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Sungod18
Someone mentioned law enforcement and GM.

I doubt we'd ever see hybrid's among the police. Most cars in the force I would think need the the ability to be able to run down and pull over the average speeded. I don't think the basic hybrid would cut it. They would need a more powerful sports hybrid which going into costly territory.
I can't see hybrids working as LEO vehicles outside of dense urban areas. In fact, when I was in Krakow, Poland last year the police did have several Prius patrol cars.

I can see diesel patrol cars in the US, however. The Germans have been doing this for years.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 AM

Performance based Hybrids would work very well for police/emergency cars in the States. The fact that they do sit idle for long periods of time would save a lot of gas. But one problem hybrids have right now is, if you put the car in park, the engine starts back up and stays on. GM needs to work on a way to have the engine cut off during long idle times...

Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Performance based Hybrids would work very well for police/emergency cars in the States. The fact that they do sit idle for long periods of time would save a lot of gas. But one problem hybrids have right now is, if you put the car in park, the engine starts back up and stays on. GM needs to work on a way to have the engine cut off during long idle times...
But the cost issue?

Comparing a performance hybrid to a Vic I don't think every district can afford to replace with a hybrid fleet.

And if your just using autostop I'm not sure how well that will help. The Malibu gets only +1 mpg with AS.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Artoodetoo
Why doesn't GM just simply remarket the electric car?
Exxon Mobile!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 AM

@ SunGod18,
1 MPG saving multipled by (x) number of cruisers would equal savings in the long run. 14 cars would save 14 mpgs....

With bulk (fleet) orders, the cost should be closer to non-hybrid pricing

@ Artodetoo,
Electric only cars still cost a lot of money to produce. The Telsa is an example of this. It is a $100,000 - $150,000 car. It is a performace car because it was the only "real" way to market it to the target group.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

But one problem hybrids have right now is, if you put the car in park, the engine starts back up and stays on.
This is just a question of programming.

Quick Reply: Rant of the Month

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands