HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

real spare tire in HCHII?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: real spare tire in HCHII?

i guess. i just think the amount of time a spare comes into use is rare. for those traveling on dirt roads (small number), I can see where a spare could come in handy but I then would question why buy a hybrid (car) if the majority of use is offroad. apart from that, a donut spare should suffice. the weight of a full makes little sense for a car trying to maximize FE.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Hybrid Owner

You haven't lived until you have a car that can't accept the flat into the trunk. I've owned several sports cars with that problem. I kept a roll of garbage bags and some bungee cords for such an occasion, and the tire typically rode on the package shelf behind the seats with the top down. If it was raining, I guess I'd have to leave the passenger on the side of the road.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
i guess. i just think the amount of time a spare comes into use is rare. for those traveling on dirt roads (small number), I can see where a spare could come in handy but I then would question why buy a hybrid (car) if the majority of use is offroad. apart from that, a donut spare should suffice. the weight of a full makes little sense for a car trying to maximize FE.
well, I'm not driving the HCH II like an ATV/SUV, but it's my car! So optimizing FE is definitely a goal, but I also figure I'll still be getting better milage under sub-optimal conditions (e.g. the occasional forest road or backabeyond county roads) than I would with a conventional car. Anyway, thanks, all, for the suggestions.

(and BTW Holicow, it's not exactly that I BELIEVED the dealer, more like hoping it was true!-- but the old 'trust but verify' chestnut comes to mind).

P

Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I need to check, promise to do it tomorrow.