HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I turn off my car b4 putting it in Park?

Originally Posted by arbittan
I will write this disclaimer:

You must follow all state laws in your area in concerns to vehicle safety. You must engage park once you deem you are to leave the vehicle. Remember the Hybrid is spinning the motor start at 1000rpms. A typical gas only engine does this at 100rpms.

The reason I want to highlight this is because someone out there will try to do what is written on this forum and get someone hurt, injured, or killed.

Cars and Hybrids are serious machines that can cause great harm if used incorrectly. Please remember Hybrids are regular cars with a different method to bring or assist propulsion. Trying to save gas by bypassing a normal park feature is dangerous and unsafe.

Thank you,
What the hell are you talking about? Reading comprehension would have enabled you to discern that we ARE putting the car in park before leaving the vehicle. We're just shutting the engine off BEFORE engaging park.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Soybean,
I understand some people will put their car in park, but there are others that will forget and might even leave their keys in the car. What happens when that person's car rolls down the driveway and hurts someone?

You are not wasting gas when the engine restarts. The electrical engine part is spinning the motor upto 1000rpms which is a negligible amount of fuel.

You might save fuel over a 100 year period, but again, nothing sooner.

Park the car normally and everyone will be fine. You can also ask your insurance company the same question, they might and could respond with a rate increase because now you are considered a risk driver.

Again, I am advocating safety over hacking/bypassing/circumventing predefined safety features.

Sorry if you feel threaten by this advice. You do not have to follow it if you don't want to, but then you have been given a disclaimer on not doing said action.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't think there's anything to worry about... If you are stupid enough to forget to put your car in park before leaving it, you probably have a lot of other problems too.

Even if you do forget to put it in park, it will start rolling as soon as you lift your foot off the brake. You could just step back on the brake and put the car in park. There is no way someone is going to park on a hill (not turning their wheels to the curb), turn their car off, leave it in neutral or drive, take their foot of the brake, then get out of their car while its rolling down the hill and watch it injure or kill someone.

I am not saying that a car rolling down a hill isn't going to cause damage, or that it is not possible to accidentally have your car roll down a hill, but it is just extremely unlikely.

I say we just all park our cars the way we want.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

arbittan:

I'm sure you meant well.

But with time you'll notice that many of us are already very safety conscious sometimes bordering on the fanatic. Driving our hybrids as exemplary as some of us have been doing for many years, not only has a humbling effect but also induces a very contagious desire for safety.
In fact, I would guess you'll be hard pressed to find a finer and more considerate bunch of folks than what you see here at GreenHybrid.

Take it easy on us and get to know us a bit better, OK? You'll see what I mean.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
arbittan:

I'm sure you meant well.

But with time you'll notice that many of us are already very safety conscious sometimes bordering on the fanatic. Driving our hybrids as exemplary as some of us have been doing for many years, not only has a humbling effect but also induces a very contagious desire for safety.
In fact, I would guess you'll be hard pressed to find a finer and more considerate bunch of folks than what you see here at GreenHybrid.

Take it easy on us and get to know us a bit better, OK? You'll see what I mean.

Cheers;

MSantos

No Problem