HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

shutting hybrid off during auto-stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default shutting hybrid off during auto-stop

Hello All,

I am fairly new here.

I did a search on the subject but couldn't find anything - sorry, if it's been asked before.

Is it ok to shut down the vehicle in auto stop? This seems like wasted fuel: when I pull in my garage the civic goes into auto-stop, then I put it in park and it revs up again, only to shut it down. I come from a manual transmission so it seems like it would be fine to turn it off while in auto stop.

Another newbie question - anyone have creeks / squeek over by the passenger door / glove box, really anoying to have a creek already at 700 miles. I've checked the glove box, only the manual, have taken that out still happens. My old 84 CRX had 130k and hardly had a rattle.

The doors don't always want to shut too - is that typical? of course coming from another vehicle - used to not having to push the door very hard... just wondering if that is something the dealerships do before deliver - adjust doors, etc.?

Question on Auto mode w/ the heat/air - anyone notice better mpg using this or on manual? I noticed that when I had it on auto, the air may have been on - seemed like the engine was working a bit harder (by noticing the rpms)?? True or my imagination?

Radio: (standard no navi) - really bad reception, anyone else have this prob. our old VW and our honda mini van can get the same sations no prob.

I got the black all weather mats - they are great. Have always gone on the cheap route in the past. These fit perfect, well worth the extra $ to save your carpet. Highly recommend.

thanks in advance!!

Last edited by cawfebug; 12-16-2006 at 05:54 PM. Reason: add issue w/ radio
Old 12-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Hybrid Nutbar
Default Re: shutting hybrid off during auto-stop

Todd,

Welcome! We, sir, are kindred spirits, I had an 83 CRX until someone ran into her at 285,000, what a great car.

I too have a HCH II, an '06 (I guess we have to differentiate now, seeing as how there are so many changes. As for your questions, I'll give them a go.

1) I'm not sure about shutting down the car while it is in auto stop. As fuel efficient as the ICE is, unless you're starting up and shutting down very often, I don't think it really wastes that much gas. There is a computer on board that handles everything, so I let the car do what it wants, so as not to anger the computer (though this is probably a very wrong, and definitely a very non-technical way of looking at it.

2) There are several people who have reported various creeks and squeeks in their HCH II's. Most I've seen are in relation to the seatbelt height adjustment handle. My advice, give it some time, it might just work itself out. After that, if it is really bothersome, let the dealer look at it to make sure it's not something serious.

3) I've also not had a problem with the doors. My previous vehicle was a Jeep, which regquired a little heave to get the doors shut, so I'm just used to that. Give them some good elbow grease, it could just be a very good latch to keep the door shut.

4) Others have also posted about the climate control. Many hypermillers (those who seek to gain the maximum FE) will choose to use the climate control in manual, to ensure that the AC is not kicking on when it's not needed. The AC does take about 3-5 mpg on average, so if you're looking for a bit higher mileage, tell the AC what to do when you want it to.

5) I too have the standard radio. I've not experienced any trouble. make sure the antenna is screwed in properly, though I doubt that would be the case. This could possibly be another dealership inquiry.

I hope you enjoy your new Civic. I am at about 7000 miles on mine and I am thrilled with the results. I've cut my fuel bill by two thirds, not to mention fewer maintinence stops due to longer intervals. I wish I could say that I was so altruistic as to purchase this car purely for ecological reasons, but I must say it was a financial aspect for me. However, knowing that I am doing my part to not put as much money in big oil execs pockets makes me happy.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an 05 hah and I used to shut the engine off in auto-stop as you mentioned when pulling in the garage and also wherever I may be.

I dont anymore because upon re-starting it there was seemingly ALWAYS a loud bang that would happen upon start. I couldnt tell if it was a backfire, a blown exhaust gasket or who knows what.

Since not doing this, the noise has not re-appeared.

It must be like windoze and needs to be shut down gracefully.

Maybe this does not happen on the civic.

Tony

Old 12-17-2006, 06:31 AM
World's First Hybrid

I have an 05hch and when I'm ready to park and the auto stop is engaged, I leave my foot on the brake (ICE off), pull up the parking brake and turn the ignition key off, then I put the trans into park. This eliminates that brief start-up after you put the vehicle into park from auto stop. The loud bang you are hearing is probably the transmission trying to figure out what's going on (to engage or not to engage is the question).

The doors don't shut with an easy tug because of the difference in air pressure. You will notice that if a window is left open just a crack, the doors will close with no problem. This happens with all cars (except for rag tops) and is quite normal. When I first got my hch, I couldn't figure out why the dome light stayed on all the time. Turns out I opened the passenger side rear door and it didn't shut all the way...sheesh...took me a day to figure it out until I had to walk around to the passenger side of the car and noticed the door was open just a crack...

Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I pull into my garage, I shift into L as I am approaching the door, waiting for it to go up. Then I drive in normally, shift into Park, and shutdown with the key. That prevents the autostop waiting for the door to go up, or shifting into park.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by cawfebug
Is it ok to shut down the vehicle in auto stop? This seems like wasted fuel: when I pull in my garage the civic goes into auto-stop, then I put it in park and it revs up again, only to shut it down. I come from a manual transmission so it seems like it would be fine to turn it off while in auto stop.
No, it does not hurt the vehicle when you shut it down while in autostop. But to be sure do the following: Let the autostop occur, then turn off the ignition. With the foot still onb the Brake pedal shift the transmission to P.
At this point I prefer to engage the parking brake then I let the brake pedal go. Why do I do this last step? Because if I do this instinctively and the car is ever on an incline then it is easier on the transmission.

Another newbie question - anyone have creeks / squeek over by the passenger door / glove box, really anoying to have a creek already at 700 miles. I've checked the glove box, only the manual, have taken that out still happens. My old 84 CRX had 130k and hardly had a rattle.

The doors don't always want to shut too - is that typical? of course coming from another vehicle - used to not having to push the door very hard... just wondering if that is something the dealerships do before deliver - adjust doors, etc.?
If your regular dealership is unable or unwilling to address these issues please see an alternate dealership. Many of us will assure you that these issues are not common so it is worth setting up an appointment with a good dealership to have them resolved.

Question on Auto mode w/ the heat/air - anyone notice better mpg using this or on manual? I noticed that when I had it on auto, the air may have been on - seemed like the engine was working a bit harder (by noticing the rpms)?? True or my imagination?
The AC Auto mode will work very well provided that you set the temperature to a value that is not very aggressive. If the differential in the actual initial temperature is to high compared to the setting then your Fuel economy will suffer accordingly.
In the summer months I have the AC on Auto all the time and my Fuel economy is rarely impacted by its use in part because I manage my battery state of charge carefully and I keep my temp setting at a low differential value.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've never had trouble with shutting down while in AS. I turn the ignition off, pull the hand brake, then shift to Park. Never any troubles.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

I also shut off in AutoStop and use auto for ac. Definately better mpg.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Regarding auto climate control, in dry cool conditions which is often the case in San Jose, I've learned that you can turn on auto climate control to full automatic for whatever temperature, then press the AC button to manually disable the AC. The climate control still controls the temperature but only by regulating the amount of heat put into the car and the fan speed. Of course, if your windows are fogging up, then you'll want to have the AC help out.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks all for your comments!

re: air con - I'm suprised that there isn't a indicator light on the A/C button.

re: doors, yep, I understand the cabin air pressure, why do other cars not have that problem? our honda minivan - you can just tap the door and it closes, same w/ our old VW jetta.

Thanks for the tip on coasting in the garage in a lower gear - works well.

Quick Reply: shutting hybrid off during auto-stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands