HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

I just got off the phone with my dealer. They want my car for 3 days to repair the trunk lid and put the foam (EPT?) in place. I told them I wanted a rental car. They told me they wouldn't give me one. I told them to make sure that they couldn't give me one and call me back this afternoon.

It seems to me that if everyone admits this is a Honda error (they do) and if they want to keep their reputation of a great customer service (I assume they do) then they should pick up the bill for the rental or loaner. Am I out of line here?

Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

that is just wrong. yes, they should give you a loaner.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just got a message from them and they've agreed with you, Matt. They've schedule the work on the car for early January and agreed to give me a loaner. I'll report the work here.

In the meantime, has anyone else noticed that our spoiler/trunk lid problem has gone international! https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11226 EVERYONE CALL HONDA!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have gotten Honda to flip for the rental on many occasions from them buffing out the scuff marks on the trunk to doing an alignment. You just have to make it sound like you job depends on you having a car and such. When they did my trunk, the rental company had 3 vehiles...2 full size crew cab pick ups and a minivan. I of course took the minivan since it ate the least amount of gas. HAHAHA.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone with an '07 having this problem? Had the car almost a month and not seen any sign..... so far.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

I have a '06 magnetic pearl non-navi civic hybrid that I got less than 2 months back. Was parking the car in the garage last night and saw the paint wearing off on the side of the spoiler. Very much like the issue noted here. I guess I will call the dealership tomorrow and ask them if they have a solve. Should I open a honda claim as well?

Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, absolutely you should.

Most people who take their car to their dealers to show them this issues hear something like "We've never heard of this problem before." That's the reason it's important to escalate this problem to Honda of America...to generate some cohesiveness for those with the issue. Please. Call Honda of America. In fact, these are the steps I recommended based on my experience thus far:

Originally Posted by shoebox303
1. Take your car to your dealer. Show the problem to the Service Manager. Tell the Service Manager you would like to show this problem to the District Manager (this was a 5 minute visit for me).

2. When the District Manager is at your dealer, show the problem to him/her. Tell him/her that you want the problem escalated up the "TECHLINE" (this was another 5 minute visit for me). At this point, the District Manager calls the issue in to the Techline and they actually send somebody (or a team) to your dealer to look at your issue and determine whether it is a manufacturing error, user error, etc. This may take a couple of weeks.

3. In the meantime, call Honda of America at (800) 999-1009, press Option 5. When you get a real person on the phone, give him/her your VIN number and tell them you want them to DOCUMENT THIS CASE and CODE IT AS A PAINT ISSUE. Then describe your issue. If the case isn't documented, it's as if you didn't call. A team of analysts goes through all the documented cases and determines if there is a general thread in the complaints (i.e. a spoiler rubbing on a trunk lid). They act on the issues that show the greatest reoccurrence.

These things will get us the most attention. Let's get this thing fixed!
Good luck...let us know what you find out.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast

I must reneg on my claim of having a spoiler problem. I reported earlier that the paint on the trunk lid was "etched." Just took car to dealer for first oil change and showed the trunk lid to the service guy. First thing he said was, "I'll have to show this to the district manager." Next thing he did was rub the area with his thumb and everything looked good as new. Boy, did I feel silly. I will keep an eye on this as it must be rubbing a little to cause the discoloration. I was very pleased with their response, though.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Energy Independence

TCWill,
Take another look very soon. If he rubbed the area with a moistened thumb, yes, the area will look "revived" while it is wet. But it will quickly go back to the etched, abraded look when it is dry.
Hopefully you are right, though, and your issue is not as severe as mine.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 AM
Enthusiast

I have this problem on my 06 HCH and followed the steps outlined in this thread. When I took it to the dealer (Schaumburg Honda in IL), they initially wanted the body shop to check it out, to which I told them no, since that will only fix the results of the real problem. They did agree to have the District Mgr. take a look, which he did a few weeks later when he was there. He had never seen it before and was amazed that he could actually move the spoiler from side-to-side. He then decided to check the 07 HCHs they had in-stock, and he was able to move their spoilers as well. He agreed that it was definitely a problem and is now working it from his end with Honda. In the meantime, the dealer calls me every week or so to let me know they haven't forgotten and that they have a fix in mind, but they're waiting for word from Honda (which I have no problem with at all). I guess my point is if you have this problem, follow the steps in this thread and you should see positive results.

Quick Reply: Spoiler wearing paint off of the trunk lid. What we must do!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands