HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Stupid Dealer put Hole in car bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stupid Dealer put Hole in car bumper

Well, when picking up my car, the dealer decided to put a front license plate on the car with the Honda Dealer's name. Even though I told them about 10 times not to put it on once the car comes in. Sure enough they did it anyway and now I have an ugly hole in the center of my new bumper. Yes I complained and got some fog lights but, I still want to take the plate off.
So, does anyone have an idea of what to do without completely painting the bumper.
I was thinking if I could locate a small enough push tab, like the ones used to hold plastic door panels on and as flush as possible and paint it with Honda color matched touch up paint and just insert it into the hole. Might not look as bad as the hole.
Any other ideas would be great.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Stupid Dealer put Hole in car bumper

They did the same to me. But, in IL they require a front plate. But, with the way the the bracket for the plate holder is made there is no reason why they should have put a hole in your bumper. The bracket attaches to the bumper in the specified holes.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Bumper Plugs

Click here. This is what these guys do, plug holes in bumpers

I know the owner, and he has a nice product. My Civic also had a license plate bracket on it as well, and I used a bumper plug painted to match to solve the problem.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

after even following you last couple of posts, i never even noticed the plug, I'll check out the site and product thanks

CK

Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Nicely done but in CA you have to have a front license plate for the speed trap cameras or you get a ticket

Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by bilbothejust
Nicely done but in CA you have to have a front license plate
True, the Vehicle code mandates both front and rear license plates, but enforcement is not consistent across the state. In southern California, parking enforcement officers will hand out citations for missing front plates, but in Northern California, enforcement is practically nil.

Even if the car is cited for missing a front plate, it is called a "fix-it" ticket, which means that the plate is put back on the car, a law enforcement officer signs the citation attesting that the car is now in compliance with the Vehicle code, the owner mails in the ticket and pays some administrative fee of between $5 and $15. And with that it is done.

Not having a front plate for aesthetic reason is something that I am comfortable with the risk of a possible citation. In 40 years of driving I have only been cited 1 time for a missing plate. Those are pretty good odds.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm in the Los Angeles area and have not had a front plate since I got the car Jan 2 2006.

No ticket yet.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Energy Independence

Nice site (BumperPlugs), but no Honda Magnetic Pearl yet.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default An alternative to Bumper Plugs

An alternative to Bumper Plugs is to go to your local auto parts store and get one of those black plastic interior fasteners and then paint it with some Honda touch-up paint. A dab of silicone kitchen sink caulk will hold it in place easily. Make sure to trim the edge of the hole in the bumper so it is flush.