HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Question

Are the Dunlop SP31 A/S "directional" tires?
(i.e. - should they only be rotated front/back - not left/right)

What is your recommendation for a replacement set? I want a 50/50 split between LRR and traction (i.e. - I don't want to sacrifice one to get the best of the other).

Thanks,
FamilyMan

Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Tire Question

Originally Posted by FamilyMan
Are the Dunlop SP31 A/S "directional" tires?
(i.e. - should they only be rotated front/back - not left/right)

What is your recommendation for a replacement set? I want a 50/50 split between LRR and traction (i.e. - I don't want to sacrifice one to get the best of the other).

Thanks,
FamilyMan
Typically, directional tires are clearly marked on the tire sidewall. The original Dunlops I have are not directional. My Michelin X-ICE winter tires I have are.

I believe that any tire that qualifies as LRR provides inherently poor traction and just "so-so" handling. I am pretty happy with the Dunlops even when having them inflated at 48-50psi, but then again, that is my interpretation of good.

Michelin and GoodYear do have "LRR" tire products that may be worth investigating, though.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S

They do great in the dry and wet. I have another set for snow.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

How is your mileage with the Sumitomo HTR200 185/70HR14? How long have you had them?

I notice tirerack lists that as the right tire for the 2003 HCHI, and they have a comparable Sumitomo HTR200 for the 2006 HCHII which I'm thinking about. The reviews on tirerack.com say it's decent in puddles, while I'm kind of nervous in the rain on the OEM dunlops I have, although I like their dry performance.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

I generally find that the liking of a tire depends much on your taste. I've read many tire tests, but they don't always match with my experience.
For instance, my previous car (a Honda Accord) came with Bridgestone tires that I liked OK, but thought were a little noisy. From a test, the Michelin Energy came out very good (also in noise performance). Then once I got a loaner Accord with those exact Michelin tires, and I perfectly disliked them for their steering feel and they were much noisier than the Bridgestones too.
Therefor, I usually stick to what I have, when I half like it. You know what you have, not what you will get until you get it, and then you are stuck with them for the next x-thousand miles.
My HCHII came with Dunlop SP Sport 300's that seem OK to me.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve04
How is your mileage with the Sumitomo HTR200 185/70HR14? How long have you had them?

I notice tirerack lists that as the right tire for the 2003 HCHI, and they have a comparable Sumitomo HTR200 for the 2006 HCHII which I'm thinking about. The reviews on tirerack.com say it's decent in puddles, while I'm kind of nervous in the rain on the OEM dunlops I have, although I like their dry performance.
Very good in the rain. Please be advise that this tire is not recommended for snow. I have a set of snows for those month. If you live in an area with little or no snow fall then you can use the Sumitomo tires year round. My one complaint is that they are a little noiser than OEM Dunlops after tire rotation (they get a little quieter once they have been driven for about 1000 miles). The main reason for the switch (from Dunlops) was Dunlops poor wet weather handling. Also, tread life didn't seem all that impressive. I believe I'm going on year 4 with them.