HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Truck drafting, Yes or Poor form?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Truck drafting, Yes or Poor form?

Been doing it for too many years over too many states. Doesn't happen like that. Its more important for me to stay out of rock throwing distance from the tires, than worry about trucks slowing down or hitting something. I've ridden the 'rocking chair position' too. After losing a windshield in Wyoming to a rock, and another windshield in Nebraska, I finally 'keyed into' the need to stay back a bit. Everyone has to do what's comfortable for them, but saying one is risking death and dismemberment by following a truck is a disservice.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stpik
The truckers don't hate drafters because they're unsafe. They hate them because they're COSTING the truckers money.

Nothing is free in physics. The boost a car driver gets by drafting a semi comes at the expense of of the truck's mpg. And with diesel at $5 per gallon, truckers aren't willing to surrender any efficiency.

I've read many times that when a car drafts another one, the lead car also benefits from less drag (less turbulence due to low pressure in the rear, I suspect). Obviously, the benefit to the lead car is far less than the second car. No offense, but I think your comment above is incorrect.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob W.
I've read many times that when a car drafts another one, the lead car also benefits from less drag (less turbulence due to low pressure in the rear, I suspect). Obviously, the benefit to the lead car is far less than the second car. No offense, but I think your comment above is incorrect.
True.

Another vehicle in the low pressure turbulent zone behind the truck will decrease the drag and actually improve the mpg of the trucker slightly. HOWEVER, the other vehicle must be very, very close to make any measurable difference.

In any case, it does not cost the draftee (the one in front) anything. NASCAR drivers use this technique all the time at high-speed tracks to gain advantage. The longer the train, the better the efficiency.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah - the nothing is free in physics is right. But - it just doesn't apply here. I have read that the best way to help everyone is bumper to bumper with high walls on either side. Then you can actually create wind in the direction of traffic. I wonder if we will ever get there. Either way - we can get close with smart highways and an autopilot tying vehicles together.

Drafting can be as minimal as you want it to be. I don't think too many people advocate the 5 feet or less that Nascar does on public roads.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Banned

Most of you know truckers are in a world of hurt with $4.00 a gallon diesel...they are going literally on the edge, or past it. Expect more semi tire blowouts.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I remember $4.00 diesel fuel.....

It is almost $4.50 here in California.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Diesel is $4.70 here in Spokane, regardless.... 300TT, that drafting technology does not exist today. We are on our own to drive in the safest, most courteous manner possible because, in spite of what the Gas Guzzler drivers think IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT US.

If you want to draft do so, I can't say anything that will change your mind. It is unsafe, illegal and just bad form but, you do what is best for you. But why give someone else a reason to hate us, truckers, people driving by or cops saying "those hybriders, look how they drive!" the freeway is NOT a controlled environment are you sure you or your imaginary tracking computer can react in time?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Truck drafting, Yes or Poor form?

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Nothing is free in physics. The boost a car driver gets by drafting a semi comes at the expense of of the truck's mpg. And with diesel at $5 per gallon, truckers aren't willing to surrender any efficiency.
The same principle applies even more to excessive speed. If truckers were truly interested in efficiency, they'd slow down a bit. Warp factor 3 would be an improvement.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

On the drafting subject, I've always wondered if it would be worth it to carry a CB radio in the car, program it to channel 19 (the trucker channel) and just ask the trucker.... "Hey, mind if I draft about two seconds behind you?"

If the trucker knew you were just distance drafting I doubt they would have a problem if you asked. That way you don't **** of the trucker and get them kicking up rocks from the shoulder at you.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Truck drafting track record?

I'm wondering if anyone can point to any statistics or documented cases of trucker retaliation or to the death dismemberment, & carnage that were caused as a result of truck drafting. Several posters alluded to anecdotal evidence of these dangers in this discussion, but I haven't been able to find any actual published cases myself.

Quick Reply: Truck drafting, Yes or Poor form?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands