HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Yipeeee

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Yipeeee

I just had a killer tank, 65.4 and hit 63.0 for my lifetime average.

I do not know why this remains so much fun.
After three years of hypermiling I still get a kick out of a good tank.

These cars are amazing, aren't they?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/1900.html

Hey, why is the average of all HCH2s not higher than HCH1s?

Last edited by kenny; 03-26-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Default Re: Yipeeee

I was surprised to see the 46 number for the HCHII average. I thought it was 47. Perhaps it dropped due to winter conditions?

I'm having a decent tank at about 52... pretty close to my average, but the highest I've seen in a little while. I think warmer temps are helping. Still can't imagine getting a 60+ tank like you get every time. Then again, I can't imagine going 53 mph (max) all the time! I guess life has its trade-offs! Congrats on the 65 for this tank!

ps. I'm guessing you don't have a spouse who borrows your car and wrecks your mileage in the process, right? At least once per tank I'm subjected to a 1 - 2 mpg "hit" due to this! Oh well. Perhaps the database should have "spouse points" added for degree of difficulty!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

kenny, you suck Honestly, though, it's nutters like you that give me something to shoot for. Just today, the commute home from work netted 65mpg, which is unheard of for me even drafting trucks on the freeway. Going back will knock that down to maybe 58 (it's uphill there, downhill back), but after a winter's worth of hypermiling practice, I'm looking forward to some sweet numbers of my own this year. Let's see if we can't beat them Prius peeps this year!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Thumbs up Re: Yipeeee

Kenny,
Congrats on the tank.
I wonder if the HCH II is heavier than the HCH I? Could affect the mileage stats.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations!

Kenny, I see you are doing a lot of highway miles. What techniques are you using to keep the FE so high on the highway? My FE always drops when I go on the highway.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by kenny

Hey, why is the average of all HCH2s not higher than HCH1s?

OK, OK, OK !!!!

I confess !!! It was me !!!

What would you expect? These -40F winter temps can kill one's mileage, you know?

Look on the bright side, I brought down the Prius II mileage too by an almost equal amount. Pitty I did not have an HCH-1 so as to remain relevant to your question.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-29-2007, 06:38 AM

Kenny, you are my hero.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Congratulations!
Originally Posted by ppgroup

Kenny, I see you are doing a lot of highway miles. What techniques are you using to keep the FE so high on the highway? My FE always drops when I go on the highway.
I go 53 MPH (or less) with cruise control, in the right-most lane of four to six - traffic here in Los Angeles is frequently so heavy that we all end up going 45 MPH anyway, which is fine by me.

I leave a lot of room in front of me.
I look far ahead to avoid using brakes.
My commute is about 30 minutes so the car has time to warm up; if it was an hour my mpg would be even higher.

I get up to speed VERY slowly.
I do not "pulse and glide".
I do not "drive with the load".
I do not pay any attention to my tachometer.
I don't know, maybe it would be better if I did all those things.

I recently read that even the best hybrid systems can recover only 30% of the kinetic energy.
To me this means it is much smarter to not have used the gas getting up to a speed that I have to slow down from.

Because of this 30% thing I feel that every time I apply the brakes or lift my foot off the accelerator enough to make even one charge LED come on that I blew it.
If I can only get back 30% it would have been smarter to not have burned the gas 30 seconds ago getting up to a speed that I had to slow down from.

Prevention is better than cure.

Also, imagine a manual transmission.
Imagine you are going 50 MPH and you pop it into neutral and coast.
The car will coast at some rate.
The engine will not help slow the car down like it would if you were in gear.
Discovering this "coasting rate" is key to the MPG I get.

This coasting rate is duplicated when you lift so lightly on the gas pedal that you DO slow down but not enough to cause ANY of the charge LEDs to light up.
This means I need to leave even more room ahead of me and look far ahead in traffic.

Again the point is not so much to avoid braking as it is to avoid USING GAS getting up to a speed I may have to slow down from.
Slowing down wastes 70% of that gas.

Next you might be thinking my battery never gets charged.
Well, in reality I can not always meet my goal of avoiding the brake pedal.
Traffic happens, and I have to brake sometimes.
That’s enough to keep my battery charged; plus the computer makes sure it stays charged; it will even gobble up some gas to do it if needed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kenny; 03-29-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands