05 HAH Navi DVD error

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default 05 HAH Navi DVD error

I've been having an intermittent error on the Navi DVD reader. Sometimes it works just fine, other times, we get an error telling us to contact the dealer. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Greg

Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HAH Navi DVD error

No, none at all. Has the disc ever been removed (and possibly scratched)?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM

If you (not just Gncox, but anybody) don't have the factory service manual, I highly recommend getting it. Kaymack can attest to it's value, as even with his experience with working on cars, he was still able to learn some new stuff when replacing his brake pads. He also found it cheaper at www.handaaccessories.com. www.helminc.com has the same manual, but it's $10 more. Like it says on the H&A website, if you save one hour's worth of labor by doing something yourself, the manual has paid for it's self.

Something I just found while looking up Gncox's problem:

Solar Angle
The navigation system uses the sun's angle, along with the sunlight sensor to control the driver/passenger A/C air flow. The heat that must be removed by the A/C unit varies, depending on the angle of the sun entering the vehicle.
Too cool!

But I digress... Gncox, if the error message you're seeing says, "DVD disc reading error (unformatted), please consult your dealer." Then yeah, "deep scratches or other damage" is your problem. The book also goes on to say make sure your disc is an official Honda navigation DVD that's orange in color.

Last edited by bar10dah; 07-01-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendation on the factory manual - always a good idea!! As for the DVD error - the disc is totally free from scratches and is the official Honda version from 2005 - have not sprung for the update. Any thoughts on dust/dirt on the laser reader? The random read error is quite frustrating and does not seem to be related to a reboot. While driving home from a family outing last night - at startup we got the DVD read error, but while driving about an hour later, it rebooted and worked fine for the remainder of the drive home. Very strange.

Originally Posted by bar10dah
If you (not just Gncox, but anybody) don't have the factory service manual, I highly recommend getting it. Kaymack can attest to it's value, as even with his experience with working on cars, he was still able to learn some new stuff when replacing his brake pads. He also found it cheaper at www.handaaccessories.com. www.helminc.com has the same manual, but it's $10 more. Like it says on the H&A website, if you save one hour's worth of labor by doing something yourself, the manual has paid for it's self.

Something I just found while looking up Gncox's problem:

Too cool!

But I digress... Gncox, if the error message you're seeing says, "DVD disc reading error (unformatted), please consult your dealer." Then yeah, "deep scratches or other damage" is your problem. The book also goes on to say make sure your disc is an official Honda navigation DVD that's orange in color.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 AM

Sure, the laser could be dirty. It might be worth a try to buy an optical cleaner. However, it'll be a shot in the dark. But, sometimes that's the only way to fix a problem. Just keep trying different things until the problem is resolved.

Another thing to try is the diagnostic mode. Don't go changing things in there though! Just use the various test features to see if there's a problem somewhere. But, with your problem being intermittent, it may not be able to find a problem. Turn the ignition to the ON (II) position. Press and hold the three buttons (Menu, Map/Guide, and Cancel) and keep them pressed for about five seconds. Then select the test you want to perform. I recommend starting with the Navi System test.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

+1. Same symptoms on my 2006 hah. Does not correlate to bumps in road, which might induce tracking. To date, the resolution has been to eject/insert the dvd for the ~5 times its occurred in the past 15 months.

BTW, manuals can be had on eBay for quite a deal.

Originally Posted by gncox
Thanks for the recommendation on the factory manual - always a good idea!! As for the DVD error - the disc is totally free from scratches and is the official Honda version from 2005 - have not sprung for the update. Any thoughts on dust/dirt on the laser reader? The random read error is quite frustrating and does not seem to be related to a reboot. While driving home from a family outing last night - at startup we got the DVD read error, but while driving about an hour later, it rebooted and worked fine for the remainder of the drive home. Very strange.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys,
I'm having the exact same error. I tried 2 different DVD-ROM drive cleaning CDs. Even unplugging the positive battery cable to reset the unit, after entering codes it reverted back to Disc Error, or just and incomplete map or a beige map screen. Brought it to the dealership and they said they could only offer an entire new nav system for $2,400!
I have 106,000 miles on the car and its the same 2005 Accord Hybrid. I'm thinking a possible disc upgrade may update the system firmware and fix the issue, but the disc is the 3.40 and its in perfect condition and I don't want to dish out the $185 for a DVD that might not fix my problem.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Take a look at my thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-broken-17792/

it might be helpful. I dont know if the HAH uses the same navi though.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

I checked out your post. The diag menu is similar but different, and the Navi system in the Accord is entirely different from the Civic.

I am still having the error. Even after clearing the memory in the Map/Guide, Cancel, Menu buttons held system menu. Every now and then it comes on and works but eventually the maps runs out and then several minutes later the red arrow disappears. The diagnostics on all the Navi components passes fine.

I'm going to try to back up the disc as an iso and reburn it to Verbatim media and see if it helps. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Just an update:
I got the new 3.80 disc and updated the system. The problem still happens. I realized that the navigation runs fine when the car starts cold but once it warms up the map disappears and the red arrow disappears. Then going through menus doesn't work or takes a while.

I'm looking on ebay for a DVD ROM drive for the car and the manual to replace it, but I'm worried that it could be the Navigation unit itself.

The voice commands don't work anymore and the guidance voice sounds static-y which happened before it had these issues with the navigation itself after I had disconnected the car battery for maintenance.

The diagnostics from the system menu comes back fine for all the NAV ECU tests.

Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: 05 HAH Navi DVD error

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands