600+mile trip mpg results

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up 600+mile trip mpg results

Nothing real scientific here, just some observations on a r/t from Orlando to Raleigh NC.

I have an 05 accord hybrid with 10k miles on it and here is what I experienced.

Tire pressure was set to 35 psi and I used 87 octane fuel.

When driven for mpg, no doubt DO NOT USE the cruise. When using the cruise at 70-80 mph the overall average mpg was 36.7 for approx 611 miles.

When the cruise was NOT USED the mpg @ 70 mph was at 40.1 and seems like it could have done that average most of the trip.

When able to drive at a constant 55mpg the max mpg came in at 45.7 and seems to be the most I was able to squeeze per gallon for what seemed at least 30-40 mins.

This car is more than capable to deliver very good mpg IF you, the driver are able to ignore all the maniacs flying by you at 80+ mph.

Keeping it slow was very difficult for me to do, especially around rush hour time in the big cities AND because this car just wants to get up and GO !!

Even driven as a conventional vehicle, the mpg was very impressive.

On a side note, I did finaly get the answer to a question I always wondered about.

I always wondered what would happen and how it would act IF the IMA battery pack were to go low while sitting at a stop lite on a very hot day.

With two bars showing on the battery gauge I was stopped at a lite with the a/c on . The lite seemed to be about 4 minutes long.

As I was in Auto Stop I was watching the battery meter go from 2 bars to 1 bar. I was hoping I could see it go to no bars but it then decided to start itself back up and then charge the batteries. In a matter of moments they were back up to 3 bars and we took off and they contiued to charge till 4 bars then the charging stopped.

This car seems to truly be able to take care of itself.

Gotta love this Accord!

Tony

Old 07-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 600+mile trip mpg results

Good to hear about it. Going on a long trip in like 2 weeks. The initial stretch of road is pretty flat & straight, so my best FE would be there. After that, it would go down hill since I would be in the mountains for the next 7 hrs.