Acceleration lag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:50 PM
JRW
Enthusiast
Default Re: Acceleration lag?

Hi. I just discovered this site and Forum. Thanks for all of your thoughtful posts!

My wife just got a new HAH about a month ago and we love it. However, we get the same hesitation sometimes when accelerating out of a turn (around 15mph as mikemc mentioned). It is a bit aggravating to me for a $30,000 car with 2 motors (gas & electric) to hesitate like that. Is there any remedy? If this does not happen in ALL HAH's, then it should be "fixable".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi JRW:

___There has been multiple discussions about the V6’s (hybrid and non-hybrid) electronic “Drive by Wire” inducing a lag in multiple threads at both VTEC.net and at DriveAccord.net. In the bigger scheme of things, the following thread is wear the rubber meets the road so to speak

The ¼ mile has been run!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
JRW
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response and the link, Wayne. I have not researched "drive by wire" very much. Does the computer eventually "learn" that I want to accelerate when coming out of a turn or should I just learn to live with it? I think I need to find an adjustment screw or something to tweak it a bit. :-) Or maybe a software upgrade....

Thanks again!

Jimmy

Old 05-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Rarely post anything

Hmm... I'll take a look at my service manual in the next day or so and post what I find out regarding the electronic throttle adjustments, if any.

I still say the issue is with the transmission logic, however - and as far as I know - that *cannot* be adjusted. So if that's the case, then you're definitely at "choice B". Stay tuned...I won't be able to access the manual until tonight when I get home.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Rarely post anything

There is an adjustment for the throttle cable. Per the service manual, it should have between 10-12mm (3/8 - 1/2") of play. Adjustment is via a standard locknut / adjusting nut setup, under a cover assembly that's held down with two bolts.

Looking for this under my hood, it appears to be on the pass. side firewall, just behind / to the right of the high / low side Schrader valves for the AC system (they'll be light green in color, one marked 'H', the other 'L'). Not too hard to get to. But nowhere near the throttle body, where you'd expect it to be.

Once the cable's been adjusted, check the throttle link to be sure it opens fully when you push the pedal to the floor, and returns to the idle position when you release the pedal.

Now..this being said, would I adjust the cable, myself ? No. But if you choose to, this is the proc. / spec. Obviously, you'd be looking at something closer to the 3/8" than the 1/2", and if it's already at that spec, then I wouldn't go any further.

The book shows two illustrations, one for the cover, and the other for the cable adjustment nut / lockdown. I do have a scanner, if you'd like to see the illustrations, etc.

PS: I do not see any references to the on-board computers learning your driving style based on the electronic throttle (either alone or in conjunction with other components). That's mainly covered by the ECU, and you can reset that, if you choose. It'll take up to 3 days for it to re-learn your driving style afterward.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Drive by wire means that you are asking a controller's permission to go faster when you step on it. You still have a cable but that cable does not go to a traditional carb. Back in the old days the only thing the throttle did was open up the butterfly so that more air could go in the air pump (engine) taking more fuel with it. Now a days the fuel is injected under force by an electronically controled injector. A sensor monitors throttle position and gives the car more gas when you step on it. The carb is replaced with a throttle body that supplies the air to the engine.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Site Founder

Wait a minute. The car actually does "learn?" Do you have any details on this?

Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
JRW
Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks, Mark, for your research!

I don't know if I will be bold enough to make any adjustments myself, but I will definitely take a look at it this weekend and see what it looks like. If it looks straightforward, I may tinker with it a bit. Do you experience that sagging, lagging feeling in your HAH when resuming acceleration after some corner turns (i.e., when resuming accel. after slowing to around 15mph)???

Have a great weekend!

Jimmy

Jason, I like your place here. Nice folks!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
JRW
Enthusiast

Lakedude, thanks for the "drive by wire" overview. I read a little about it last night. Now I am wondering how much of the HAH is "by wire". I know the accelerator is, and I suspect the braking system is also since it must interface the electric motor recharge resistance into the braking scenario in harmony with the disk brakes.

Transmission shifter? probably

Steering?

Oil drain plug? (just kidding)

Its kind of sobering to think about not really controlling your car directly, but only giving instructions to a computer. Shades of Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Rarely post anything

JRW - You're welcome. And, yes, I do. It's the transmission kickdown (goes 3-1 instead of 3-2) Endemic to Hondas w/ AT. If it makes you feel any better, this is the smoothest of the 3 Hondas w/ AT that I've owned. I guess I've owned Hondas for so long that I really don't notice it (and, these days, I'm turning corners quicker than usual, so as not to scrub off too much speed). When I do notice it, it's when the car's first started in the morning (1st two minutes of operation, when I'm driving < 20mph through my development).

Jason - Yes, the Honda ECU (Electronic Control Unit) does 'learn' your driving habits, and adjust. It'll learn whether you drive like you stole it, or like Grandma, and adjust the timing, air / fuel mix, etc, accordingly. But it does this after it's first been reset, not on a continuing, ongoing basis. A lot of procedures for the mechanics involve a ECU reset - when they do this, they have to perform what's called an 'idle learn' procedure before giving the car back to the customer. I first learned about this when I had my previous Accord, and was interested in modding the electronics to improve performance. If you're interested, I can do a little research and post more details about the ECU and it's adaptive capabilities.

Quick Reply: Acceleration lag?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands