Accord Hybrid 4-Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Accord Hybrid 4-Cylinder?

I want an Acord Hybrid.
But a 4 cylinder will have better mileage than a 6.

Do they have plans for a 4-banger?

Or I want a Civic Hyb. with the ammenities of a Accord.
Standard window curtains, leather, integrated key/fob, killer stereo, navagation, voice recognition etc.

I just don't need two extra cylinders that throw gas away.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Accord Hybrid 4-Cylinder?

Honda went with a 6-cylinder Accord to show that hybrids can be more powerful than their non-hybrid counterparts. I doubt they'll come out with a 4-cylinder. If you're looking for mileage and features over power, I suggest looking at the Prius.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Rarely post anything

Hi, Kenny...

I doubt that Honda will hybridize the K24 - it already gets decent mileage (check out Xcel's brand new PZEV EX-L w/ Navi), and the margin just isn't there to justify putting IMA into a sub-$25K version of the Accord, IMO. If you're looking for mileage, ignore the EPA rating of 29/37 - there's plenty of HAH owners in the mileage db that are exceeding those figures, including me, on occasion.

As for Civic - you'll get pretty much everything you're asking for in the '06 - *except* for Navi / voice rec. You're just not going to see that in that carline - they have to save *something* for the Accord

On the '2 extra cylinders throwing gas away' - have you read about the Variable Cylinder Mgmt that Honda uses in the HAH ? You won't be running on 6 or even *4* most of the time, but on *3* How's that for efficiency ?

Features ? Pretty much everything you could want, when you get the EX trim (Hybrid comes with this, deleting the power sunroof, power pass. seat). The only amenity the Prius has that I can't get in the HAH and would want is Bluetooth (hey, Acura had to save *something* for the TL... ROFL)

Good luck in your search; whichever hybrid you settle on, we all benefit from the decision

Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks GreenandBlue
I already have a 2004 Civichybrid CvT that I love, and I'm getting 60 MPG.

I just want more safety features and perhaps some luxury without the testostrone.
Do you know if the 2006 Civichybrid will have standard full window curtain airbags?
That's very important to me.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Rarely post anything

I've read in more than one place that full curtain bags will be standard - just like they made in the entire Accord line - even the DX (as of this year, I think). It's part of Honda's 'Safety For Everyone' campaign.

Honda also announced when they unveiled the '06 Civic at the Chicago Auto Show that the new Hybrid will have 'significantly improved FE over the current generation'. I'm guessing it will move from 2nd-gen IMA to at least 3rd-gen (Accord), or maybe even a 3.5-gen ?

If you're pushing 60mpg now, I couldn't say for sure whether you'd see an equivalent EPA vs. actual delta with the new Hybrid, although perhaps a couple of test drives might give you an idea.

If the new HCH uses the Accord's IMA logic, you'll notice that auto-stop logic has changed (you can creep in stop-n-go and have auto-stop re-engage continuously, but the feature activates at 8mph, not 20). Not sure how the current cylinder deactivation you have now will carry over, but I doubt it'll change to 2-cylinder mode. We'll have to see this summer, when they start releasing more details.

From what I'm seeing, the 8th-gen Civic lineup is going to be something really special, across the whole line - Si, Hybrid, LX/EX.