anyone posting mileage anymore??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: anyone posting mileage anymore??

Originally Posted by ilene
So I overpaid about $9000 over a similarly equiped accord.
Either you paid waaaay over MSRP or you're comparing 255hp V6 model to a 156-160hp four cylinder model...either way it's the wrong number to use when comparing.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ilene-

Sorry to hear you're seemingly not so happy with your FE...but think about what you'd be getting in any other V6 vehicle, with a 1.7 mile drive. And thanks for continuing to post tanks!

I wish there was an easy way to inform consumers pre-purchase about the relative merits of hybrids vs simply small fuel-efficient cars- especially for short trips. You found out the hard way that the HAH, and Honda hybrids generally, shine on the highway and certainly not on short hops. You also found out the hard way that a single number (like EPA FE rating) rarely if ever can properly characterize something as complex as a car's performance. That is true in almost any field, though.

It comes down to researching, but I see by your join date that there was certainly very little information about the HAH when you bought it, so that's not really to blame in your case. Unfortunately you took a gamble and didn't hit the jackpot it seems.

As for the low trade-in, I think you're a victim of geography. I asked at my dealer what trade-in would be on mine with 17K on it- $26.5K.

A thought- would it be possible to buy a small 'beater' vehicle for your ultra-short daily drive to the station? You'll get better FE, and the Honda will be there when you want it. I'm not sure I would buy another car just for short trips, but its a thought. There are other benefits to having a beater around, too.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 AM

I think its only fair to compare the milage of the HAH to something like the mustang V8. They are both pretty much muscle cars. In a race I'd put money on the HAH having been in both.

I think the problem is people equate hybrid with FE which is true kind of. Your probably doing much better than the 13mpg that my friend with his mustang is getting and you have about the same power (and probably more lower end torque).

Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Rarely post anything

Ilene - I actually had left the site for a period last year; that's why I had stopped posting tanks (wasn't feeling 'accused' by you, but since I'm replying, thought I'd throw that in). As it turns out, I actually traded in my Accord in January for a new Civic hybrid, so I don't have the car anymore.

I noted what you'd been quoted as a trade-in value on the Accord - mine was the same car as yours, but with 25K on the clock. My initial offer was the same as yours, and I was in disbelief as well. I wound up getting about $25K in trade for the car, but I had to go to 4 places to get that value, and the best offer came from my selling dealer - I guess with 2 MSRP deals from a customer in 13mos, they decided to have pity on me. In my case, I owed $25K, so it effectively became a buyback, which was what I was looking for (by trading for a less expensive car, I paid no state sales tax).

I have a very good relationship w/ my sales rep (you may see how good later on, but I can't say anything right now), and he was able to show me information through the dealer channels that stated the sale prices for the HAH - believe it or not, $23.5 - $24.5 on a trade is just about the 'right' price. It's a definite shame that we lose so much value in a year, for a marque / model that's supposed to be one of the best at retaining value (but not this trim level, apparently). The sluggish sales of the HAH certainly atrributed to this, as well. The dealers all know that Honda was giving them $1500 incentives to sell them at the end of the '05 MY - so they know the car may sit. Haven't checked w/ my dealer recently, but my car was still on their lot 30 days after I'd traded it (I may check again, after I send this post)

Finally, as you probably well know by now, short trips are anaethma on any car, but especially on hybrids, and even more especially on a car like the Accord Hybrid. It's definitely in it's element on the open highway, where you can keep it in OD for good stretches. By contrast, now that the weather's getting warmer here in IL, I can get the Civic up to the lower 40's, mpg-wise, in about 3.5mi. - from cold. To get to the 40's with the Accord, I'd have to be driving on the Interstate for about 20mi or more, unless I reset the averaging display when I got on the superslab.

The nature of the beast, sadly. But, as GoNavy said - it's value is unmatched for those who aren't in the mindset of 'ultra FE'; as it turned out, that became important to me after a year of driving the Accord, and came to the decision that it was overkill for a commute vehicle, and wasn't the best choice for that, for both myself and society as a whole. While the choice of the Accord wasn't the best for me, in the long run, I'm sorry that it has been even less so, in your case.

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 03-16-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

I just posted 2 that I had written down by not posted. My fuel light is on now, so I should be able to add another one (and hopefully with better results) this weekend.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

Mark,
You were not one of the "offenders" that I was referencing, but I think you know who they are and they may have good reasons too for not posting - I think I did see that you traded for a Civic. Like you, I came to the realization that the design of this car is overkill. I worry that I will have a flat and all I have is a can of air and no spare tire. The 2006 HAH cost about the same as the 2005's, Honda ought to throw us a bone and give us a spare. That got me looking also to trade mine - but I think if I was getting the mileage that you were, I would be happy. If they had offered the Civic last year as decked out as it is this year, I might have purchased it instead - the only option it is missing is leather seats.
I absolutely love Honda, but I think they have missed the mark in this technology. Toyota has nailed it. I was trying to trade for a Prius. Even if I was at the bottom of the Prius list, I think I would be satisfied. It will be interesting to see how the Camry Hybrid does. The dealer called the Honda dealer one block away who actually quoted them the lowest price.
For the record, I drove a 1998 Accord V6 prior to the HAH. I also tracked the mileage I was getting with that car. For the same trips around town, my average was 22 mpg. I sold it last year to a friend (it had less than 45,000 miles on it) who drives it hard and gets 24 mpg average (trips average for him 15 miles on the highway with traffic each way). We just took it to Houston this past weekend and he drives 75 - 85 mph. I calculated his gas mileage - 30.48 mpg. I was sick. I am so stressed out trying to watch and keep the eco light on and I get 32 mpg while going at slower speeds on the same trip, that he wouldn't let me drive. It shouldn't be so hard.
I pay cash for my cars, and I will keep this one another 3 or 4 years before I give it to my brother for my niece when she turns 16.
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.
- Ilene