Help me Honda, help me Honda owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: UPDATE

great news! Good to hear the car itself seems fine, and that you are training yourselves to adapt to the car.

Your #s look about in line with many others'.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:27 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: UPDATE

Originally Posted by HondaHondo
Okay here's an update...

I think I've figured it out. I did exclusive highway driving to test and got 40 plus mpg. But my city still was pretty dismal. So I created three categories of driving:

1. City - stop and go Manhattan<<
  2. Local - suburban<<
  3. Highway - cruising on 3 - 4 lane roads <<
Using those categories, my wife and I drove seperately resetting the trip mpg for several trips in each category.

Paying close attention to the ECO light even at the cost of running behind schedule we posted these ranges:

1. City - 9 - 16 mpg<<
  2. Local - 15 - 24 mpg<<
  3. Highway 33 - 45 mpg <<
We were able to stay near the upper end of the ranges most of the time. It just seems to me that the HAH just doesn't do as well on mpg when you need to get through and around traffic. It needs all those rip roaring 6 cyl. I know this seems obvious but I guess i didn't expect the difference to be that great.

We did get our average commute up from 18 mpg to 27 mpg being very careful in the city and trying to cruise on the open road.

That's the biggie. A commute like that gives us better mpg than the 4 cyl Accord and more pwer when needed. It's also tighter ride.

Anyway I'm much less concerned but still have some kinks to work out.

And...it would be a great service to inform anyone about to purchase a hybrid that to take advantage of the green factor and make it worth the extra dollars, you do need to adjust the way you drive. It actually makes a cleaner, sharper driver, less sloppy drive. But it is a change to get uses to...

Thanks all for your help.

Hi; I'm glad you have gotten things worked out to where you are at least somewhat satisfied with your HAH and now you know what to expect for your FE (Fuel-Ecomony) with your commute situation in N.Y. City.

Hope everything works out as you have mentioned in your last post and you can now enjoy your new purchase.

Regards

Terry