Horsepower vs MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Horsepower vs MPG

I have been looking to get a Hybrid Car. Can anyone tell me, does a lower horsepower car such a 07 Civic eat up the fuel going up and down hills and merging into crazy Sacramento traffic vs something like the 07 Accord. Does the horsepower of the Accord balance out for faster moving traffic and hills vs Civic on Salt flats (slight exaggeration) also does speed play a factor in fuel mileage? Avergage speed on my commute is about 75 mph.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Horsepower vs MPG

Too many factors!

You'll have to narrow down your question.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Yes, speed kills FE (fuel effeciency). But saying that, you will not have a problem merging with a Civic. The accord will blow most cars out of the water in acceleration so no point going there.

The civic does best at 60mph. You can get pretty good mpg at 70mph but above that you will get low 40s.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Depends on what you need. The HAH is larger more comfortable car at a higher price. For our family, the cost is worth it. At 75 you can get mid to high 30s. Cruise control is your friend. More HP also equates to more time in ECO, depending on the topography.

Go drive both and see which fits best.

Dave

Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM

At an average speed of 70 MPH, can attest to a 40 MPG average over 4,000 miles.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1KLR RAM
I have been looking to get a Hybrid Car. Can anyone tell me, does a lower horsepower car such a 07 Civic eat up the fuel going up and down hills and merging into crazy Sacramento traffic vs something like the 07 Accord. Does the horsepower of the Accord balance out for faster moving traffic and hills vs Civic on Salt flats (slight exaggeration) also does speed play a factor in fuel mileage? Avergage speed on my commute is about 75 mph.
If you are looking for significant improvement in mileage, I doubt you will notice that in the Accord Hybrid. Consumer Reports reported that in their testing that compared the regular Accord vs the Hybrid model. There was only an improvement of a few more MPG.

Checkout this other thread here from an Accord Hybrid owner who was so disappointed with mileage, that she traded her car in:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12479

The new Camry Hybrid gets much better mileage, although it does not have quite as much horsepower. If you want to tow something like a fishing or pleasure boat, though, the Accord is great, as it has so much power.

My son has a 05 Civic, and it is awesome on both perormance and mileage. The newer Civics ( it was totally redesigned in 2006 ) are even better, from what I hear. You may be happier with it if you like to drive fast. My son has so many speeding tickets now, he is now two violations short of having his license suspended. The Civic handles like a sports car, especially if you upgrade the tires.

You should test drive all of these cars, research them more, and don't let any dealer pressure you into buying right away. At least not until you get to drive each of these models.

That is the only good way to shop for a car, and make sure you get something that you end up being happy with.

Lance

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

I had an 06 HCH that I just traded for a HAH. Power was never really an issue in the Civic. You won't win any races, but it will perform when called up to do so. I traded it mostly for comfort as it is small and doesn't ride that great. Mileage-wise, if you push the Civic hard, you'll get around 39 mpg or so, but it can do 50 mpg if driven easily. Before trading for the HAH, I drove the Camry Hybrid a few times and found it way underpowered, but otherwise a very nice vehicle. With the HAH, I am at 35-36 mpg, and that is driving normally (not ultra conservative).

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

additional question:

which FE return about 85-95 mph on cruise control....

my lawyer is looking for a replacement (02 accord v6)

HAH can achieve over 23 mpg in these conditions??

HAH requires regular or premium??

=> comparisons in this case only useful to other 6 cyl. upscale sedans, like bmw 325 i and infinity g 35

best wishes

FLORIAN

Last edited by tecis; 06-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

I took a 300 mile trip last weekend averaging 80-90 MPH (not how I normally drive). My mileage was 34 on the trip computer. On the outbound side of the trip, I drove conservatively (65-70) and got 36. In my city driving, I am getting 29 (driving average, not aggressive, not too conservative either).

The Accord will not handle or perform like a BMW, it is actually kinda mushy suspension-wise. But, as a BMW owner also (X5), I prefer driving the Honda - just quiet and comfortable.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

thank you for the information...

handling like 3 series i do not expect...

but i am sure i will change the OE tires, as they are not available here in mexico...

80-90 miles cruise control over 30 mpg?? regular or premium??

thats the best

FLORIAN

Quick Reply: Horsepower vs MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands