New abnormal sound from lower dash-A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New abnormal sound from lower dash-A/C system

Very obvious (and annoying) but faint "moaning" sound the moment autostop engages and again when the engine starts up from autostop. It seems to be somehow associated with the A/C and is coming from the area below or below and just left of the steering wheel. The sound lasts about 1 second each time and is similar to the quick groaning sound made by the wipers on a dry windshield when you forget to turn them off after the rain stops. It doesn't happen every time and I haven't noticed it with the A/C off. It will also make the sound sometimes when the temp selector on the A/C is changed to a lower or higher temp. Has anyone else experienced this or have any clue as to what it could be? By the sound, location and occasions that I hear it, my guess is that it must have something to do with some type of damper in the A/C duct to that part of the dash.

My '05 now has 42,000 miles (naturally just past warranty period) and has been and still is a great (and fun) car. Always do my own oil change, which now takes only about 15 minutes. Recently switched to Mobil 1 5w20 Extended Performance (Wal-mart now carrying it at the same price that I was paying for regular M1 5w20 at Pep Boys). Oil change interval has always been 5000K max and will remain the same with the Extended Performance, even though it's rated to 15K).

I love my HAH!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New abnormal sound from lower dash-A/C system

I noticed this for the first time yesterday, while trying to i.d. another noise. but mine is very faint. it seems like actuators or something going on and off. i dunno.

not enough to bother me, though.

unlike the high pitch wine over 70mph, which never bothered me either ( i BLAST my stereo most of the time) but the first time I had a passenger they asked " what the hell is that?!"

oh well . . . . .

Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

The 06 HAH with 8k miles has developed a faint clicking noise, which seems to have a source from under the left dash. Its enough of an annoyance that I've picked up a Honda service manual to scope the issue. The clicking occurs only when engine is warm, and is not correlated to ECO, a/c, fan, IMA charge/discharge, cruise control, VSA, or shift points.I suspect a relay is the source of the clicking, but since there are 7+ relays in the Under-dash relay box, the trick is to determine which one is the culprit, while the car is in motion. I'm thinking a stethoscope, but will need an excuse for the officer when I get pulled over

Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

"I'm thinking a stethoscope, but will need an excuse for the officer when I get pulled over "

thats hilarious. i travel with a stethoscope in my car for work and have never thought of that angle.

good luck with your diagnosis.

sharing in this forum has been very helpful to many, so post your thoughts!

Mark

Old 09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaymack
Very obvious (and annoying) but faint "moaning" sound the moment autostop engages and again when the engine starts up from autostop.
The A/C compressor is a dual mode system. One half is mechanically powered, with a drivebelt off the engine. The other half is electrically powered, from the hybrid batteries. When the electrical compressor operates, especially when in autostop when the car is it's quietest, it makes an unusual noise which can be misconstrued as an issue. Do you think what you're hearing is the electrical A/C compressor?

I have a CDRom that talks a little bit about the different components of the '05 HAH (which, also applies to the '06 and '07) and how they operate. For the price of postage, I can let you borrow the CDRom.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default CD? What CD?

Bar10dah,

Is that CD ROM commercially available anywhere? Did you get from Honda? I'd be happy to send you postage to get a look at it.

Andy

Old 09-11-2007, 02:16 PM

It's commercially available, which is why I can let you borrow it. If I recall correctly, it said I can't sell, trade, or rent it out. However, if I loan it for free...

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Update on the diagnosis here.

Took the 2006 HAH (purchased new in Feb2007) into the Honda Service today. Clicking was validated during the test drive, with me in the passenger seat. Clicking was deemed to be normal for a car with 8400 miles on it.

Apparently the MCM, where the noise emanates from, (located in the left dash kick panel) contains many relays, which "always click". Didn't start for this car until about 2k miles.

BTW, long tubing works well as a proxy for a stethoscope.

Originally Posted by hyaena85
"I'm thinking a stethoscope, but will need an excuse for the officer when I get pulled over "

thats hilarious. i travel with a stethoscope in my car for work and have never thought of that angle.

good luck with your diagnosis.

sharing in this forum has been very helpful to many, so post your thoughts!

Mark

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

bar10dah, I'd like to borrow that CD. Glad to pay postage. Do you have a phone # where I can leave an address?

Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 AM

hahguy: Sure, no prob! You can PM me with your address. Andylee's got first dibs, though.

Quick Reply: New abnormal sound from lower dash-A/C system

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands