Noise at times when starting '05 HAH

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Noise at times when starting '05 HAH

The noise actually doesnt sound like a problem, but at times it POPS kinda loud and quick upon starting in the morning. It happens other times too but mostly in the morning.

It sounds like a conventional starter not releasing asap. The sound happens right at starting and only POPS loudly once.

Its not the motor, the sound is coming from the starting system.

Anyone else heard this? Mine has been doing it forever it seems, just wanted to be sure I am not alone on this one.

Thanks
Tony

Old 10-25-2006, 06:16 AM
We have an Accord!
Default Re: Noise at times when starting '05 HAH

I have a 2006 Accord Hybrid and it makes no noise when starting, if yours is making a loud pop I think you need to take it to the dealer for service, something is not right.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

CaptJack,

Thanks for confirming yours has never done this. Mine has always done it and I have 13k miles on it now. Seems to only happen if it has been sitting, mostly over night.

Reason I have never bothered to take it in is because I figure they simply would say its normal and that they never heard of the problem and that it wouldnt happen for them.

It did it again this morning.... I do need to take the chance and bring it in though.

Maybe I need to record the sound!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
We have an Accord!

If it only happens after sitting overnight you may need to leave it at the dealer over night so they can at least here the noise and be prepared for it.

It might just be something simple if it has done it since you have owned it and it has never let you down by not starting.

Mine is a 2006 but I don't think the drive train has changed at all other then the computer program.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Mine seems to make the same noise you are describing, in the same situation (sitting overnight). I wondered if it was because I always turn off the key with the car in D to prevent the engine from restarting when you shift into park.

let me know if you get a diagnosis / solution. I would describe the noise as a relay or contactor clunking in.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good Morning,

I think I have the problem found and resolved.

Problem was located between the steering wheel and driver seat.

The noise would occur most every time my wife would leave for work in the morning. I would be out in front of car giving the ole wave good bye as she leaves first.

The noise has NEVER been heard when it restarts from an autostop sooooo I kinda figured it was how long the key was being held to start the car, be it from a cold over nite or whenever for that matter.

The fix has been to really be awake and hit the key FAST and let go even faster.

We too turn the car off in drive while it is in AS to prevent another wasted start of the engine.

See what happens if focusing on the key release, maybe your noise will stop too. Ours has not occurred since and it was a daily occurance.

Good luck

tony

Old 11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was WRONG again, mine is still making the noise too. Twice today even while making sure I was super fast on the ignition key.

I am afraid to go in to the dealer as I just dont have the confidence in them when it comes to the strange peculiar troubles.

I guess I need to record the sounds if possible in order to help them out.

Hey Hamburgerpimp, Seems we are the only two with this problem on the forum!

I didnt realize this but the noise is barely able to be heard on the inside of the car with the windows closed but man its a loud snap when they are open or when standing in front of the car while someone else starts it.

What are you planning on doing??

Tony

Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

Whenever I turn off my 05 HAH while it is still in Drive instead of Park, it always makes a "pop" the next time I start it. I figured that turning it off in Drive must leave it something in some unfinished or unresolved position, and so it makes this noise to resolve itself when starting it the next time. So I stopped turning it off while in Drive, and I don't get the pop upon starting. I suspect that it is not designed to be turned off while in Drive. If you ask the dealer about it, please post here with what they tell you.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks George! I will try it and hopefully the noise wont come back! I am sure its not doing something 'good' when we hear the sound.

I thought it made a little sense to shut the engine off in Drive to save it from restarting needlessly BUT it must have a shut down sequence it needs to follow.

I just got a preowned Prius and wont shut it off in D either.

Tony

Old 11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine doesn't do that sound. And I've shut down both in D and in P.

But, to add, I don't shut it down in D anymore. I usually shift to N, then shut down, then shift to P, then take out the key.