The ride...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default The ride...

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what the ride is like in the 2006 HAH? Is the ride rough like the Accord EXL? Is there a lot of road noise? I can't remember if there was a lot of road noise when I test drove the V6 EXL.

My wife and I were actually a little disappointed and how rough the ride was on the Accord V6 compared to Camry. When running over rough road you could barely feeling anything in the Camry. In the Accord you could feel the imperfections.

I initially wanted something with some power (TL, G35, Camry V6, Accord V6) and to make a long story short I ended up deciding to go with a hybrid for better fuel economy and to help lower emissions. I was set on the TCH because of the amazing fuel mileage, the ride was smooth, it had good interior space, not much road noise and I like the design of the 2007. The only drawback to the TCH is the interior gauge cluster. I don't really like the blue. I also like the smart key and I like the bluetooth ability.

When I test drove the Accord (non-Hybrid) I loved the interior. It was much nicer looking compared to the Camry. The Accord interior reminded me of the TL . The drawback of the Accord was the rough ride, no smart key and no bluetooth. I also enjoy the looks of the Camry. However, I would love to get decent gas mileage, lower emissions and still have a V6 .

So...the reason for the post is to find out if the ride in the HAH is the same as the ride in the Accord V6? After doing some research I found a reasonable price on a 06 HAH with navi. It only has 6k miles on it...

Any knowledge you all could provide would be very helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The ride...

If you are looking for a 'soft' ride, then the HAH is probably not for you. This appears to be a difference in design philosphy between Honda and Toyota, with the Honda Accord going for a tauter, more 'sporty' suspension feel compared to a more compliant ride in the Toyota Camry.

Personally, I've now got close to 15k miles on my '06 HAH and I've never found the ride to be unduly harsh. The HAH's active noise cancellation system also seems to reduce road noise. At least, on most types of pavement road noise is attenuated well.

Lastly, if you want power, then there is really no 4-door sedan in the same price class that can touch the HAH.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Thank you for the reply. You know it's funny because I currently own two Honda's. I have a 06 CRV and a 98 Civic so the ride shouldn't have been that big of a deal to me . I really think the HAH could offer a good balance of power, fuel economy (if driven correctly) and low emissions. I originally didn't consider the HAH because it was more money than the TCH and the TCH offered more features (smart key, bluetooth etc...). When I drove the TCH I wasn't impressed with the power. I really think the power is deceptive because of the CVT transmission. Don't get me wrong I think the TCH is a nice car and I am still seriously considering buying one. I just need to take a closer look at the HAH. If I can get a decent price on a used HAH with low miles (5k-8k) I may go with that.

I will say the one thing that bothers me about the HAH is that you really have to watch the way you drive to get good gas mileage (compared to the TCH). I've read a few threads in this sub-forum about some pretty bad gas mileage. Now I know we are comparing apples to oranges because the TCH has a 4 cylinder and the HAH has a 6 cylinder but from what I read about he TCH you don't always have to be attentive to get decent gas mileage...but again that may have to do with the 4 cylinder compared to the 6 cylinder.

Decisions...decisions...

Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I own a 2006 HAH and a 2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT. I personally like the way Hondas drive (I rented a 2005 Camry SE last year and hated the way it drove. Absolutely no road feel), so my opinion is biased in that respect. My observation is HAH rides "smoother" than EX-V6 in terms of feeling road bumps. OTOH I feel more in touch with car when driving EX-V6 than HAH. Road noise in HAH also feels lower than in EX-V6. I chalked these differences off to EX-V6 6MT being tuned for driving enthusiast while HAH is more tuned for people who just need transportation.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by gonehiking
I own a 2006 HAH and a 2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT. I personally like the way Hondas drive (I rented a 2005 Camry SE last year and hated the way it drove. Absolutely no road feel), so my opinion is biased in that respect. My observation is HAH rides "smoother" than EX-V6 in terms of feeling road bumps. OTOH I feel more in touch with car when driving EX-V6 than HAH. Road noise in HAH also feels lower than in EX-V6. I chalked these differences off to EX-V6 6MT being tuned for driving enthusiast while HAH is more tuned for people who just need transportation.

Thank you for the reply. That is the type of information I'm looking for. I think I really need to find a HAH and take it for a spin. I did an inventory search of the local dealers and it doesn't appear any of them have one. I'll probably have to call the dealer and see...

Thanks again.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
Thank you for the reply. That is the type of information I'm looking for. I think I really need to find a HAH and take it for a spin. I did an inventory search of the local dealers and it doesn't appear any of them have one. I'll probably have to call the dealer and see...

Thanks again.
You are welcome. I will be happy to answer any question you may have on HAH.

I wonder if HAH ride is closer to EX-V6 auto than EX-V6 6MT. Given the audience Ex-V6 6MT is targeted at, I wouldn't be surprised if 6MT is tuned for tighter handling than auto. I am a strictly manual transimission guy. If HAH were to be available with MT, I wouldn't even have looked at AT. This is the only time I have bought a car with AT and only because I wanted to buy a hybrid. My previous experience with AT has been with rental cars only, primarily Ford and GM. I simply did not like AT in any rental car I had driven (except the one time I got a Nissan Maxima which was not bad at all). I went to test drive HAH expecting to not like the transmission, but was pleasantly susprised by how well the AT does. It is fairly smooth and I found it actually chose the right gear most of the time. Since buying HAH, I have driven through mountains many times and I never felt the need to shift to D3. HAH chose the right gear whether going uphill or downhill. This still will not change my mind about buying cars with MT only, but I think a little better of AT now

Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Where do you live tnsig? If you're around the Phoenix area, you're welcome to meet up with me somewhere and I'll let you drive my HAH.

You mentioned the HAH reminding you of the TL. They're very similar cars. Although, I found the suspension on the TL to be very tight and responsive compared to the HAH. Not that the suspension on the HAH is a weakpoint, just softer than the TL. I found a dealer that brought both the TL and HAH out for me to test drive and compare side-by-side. So my comparisons were pretty good.

With the HAH boasting a more powerful engine, I can imagine that the suspension would be beefier as compared to the TCH, which is more of an economy car. Although, I haven't driven one to know.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Where do you live tnsig? If you're around the Phoenix area, you're welcome to meet up with me somewhere and I'll let you drive my HAH.

You mentioned the HAH reminding you of the TL. They're very similar cars. Although, I found the suspension on the TL to be very tight and responsive compared to the HAH. Not that the suspension on the HAH is a weakpoint, just softer than the TL. I found a dealer that brought both the TL and HAH out for me to test drive and compare side-by-side. So my comparisons were pretty good.

With the HAH boasting a more powerful engine, I can imagine that the suspension would be beefier as compared to the TCH, which is more of an economy car. Although, I haven't driven one to know.

WOW that is a very generous offer...Thank you very much.

I actually live in East Tennessee...that would be a bit of a drive for a test drive LOL. I actually decided to go with the TCH because of pricing and fuel economy.

I noticed that you are into motorcycles. I actually live very close to Deals Gap or as some like to call it "The Dragon". I owned a 2000 R1 for a few years. My first motorcycle was a FZR 600. It's been a couple of years since I've owned a motorcycle and I sure do miss it. I still have all my gear (helmet, gloves, boots and full leathers) with the hopes of one day buying another motorcycle. I came very close to buying an 06 Gixxer 750. Now with the purchase of a new car on the horizon it looks like the bike is going to have to wait...again.

Thanks again for the offer...