Thumping noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Thumping noise from rear

I purchased a used 2005 HAH end of August 2006 with 8000 miles. On way home from dealer had the droning noise! But got that fixed last week. I have a thumping(like bass noise) coming from the back end at low speeds when on anything but smooth roads. Even pulling into the garage which has about a 2 inch separation from driveway it thumps. Took it to dealership yesterday... Of course was told this noise is not anything out of ordinary as the battery in trunk weighs 200 lbs. I drive 7 miles of bumpy roads and 8 of smooth and this noise is driving me CRAZY. Does anyone on this wonderful site have any suggestions or fixes?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thumping noise from rear

I'm not sure what the battery would have to do with the noise unless the dealer was suggesting that it's loose . A loose traction battery would definitely not be ordinary. The first thing I thought of was that the spare isn't properly bolted down, but then remembered that the '05 HAH doesn't have a spare.

Best bet would be to have a service tech from the dealer go for a ride with you so that you can demonstrate the noise. If they still say it's normal then find another dealer.

Hope you get the problems resolved as the HAH is a great car.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Sheila-

I dont know what you may or may not have in the trunk but perhaps remove all you can. Put it in a box and place inside the car and then re-road test it.

By removing as much as possible, the dealer can not hint at whatever is in the trunk to be causing the noises.

The sound could be from under the car too, maybe the exhaust system?

Could be about anything, but in a lot of cases, unless you can be specific and tell the dealer what the problem is, he wont be able to fix it.

Take someone along on a ride and have them sit in the back and listen towards the trunk and then the floor and then try to also figure out which side its coming from. Hope it isnt a loose wheel!

I have an 05 also with about 14k miles and no battery noise happening here.

Good luck

Tony

Old 10-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

I had something similar happen to me and it turned out to be the sway bar. The dealership (Farmington Hills, MI) ended up replacing the whole rear end (sway bar/shocks or strut?).

The service note mentioned loose assembly. I had 35K miles in a year and usually have over a 100 pounds in the trunk.

I thought mine was a fluke. I am not an engineer but when you redesign the back end of a car to accept a battery. I am sure they had to move rear suspension parts. This might be a design issue on the Hybrid model of the Accord.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who took the time to read my complaint. The "thumping" noise that I am hearing is actually "REVERBERATION" coming from the back when traveling on bumps at low speeds. The back speakers are bad so my husband unhooked them, still the Reverb continues. It makes no difference if my trunk is empty or full. Does anyone have a suggestion now?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

How about Service Bulletin 06-046?

Rattle or Buzz from Rear of Vehicle, Exhaust Tips Misaligned with Bumper http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Honda/115...046/60461.html

It applies to all 2006 Accord V6, but you have a 2005 HAH. Maybe...

Also, I hope that disconnecting the rear speakers does not affect the ANC (Active/Auto Noise Cancellation) - though a post indicates the front speakers are involved with ANC.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...oise.8055.html