Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2009 "Global Small Hybrid"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20438234/site/newsweek/
  • 2009 "Global Small Hybrid"
  • five-passenger, small family car
  • priced under $22,000
  • larva styling the Prius pioneered
  • will also outdo the $23,000, 60mpg Prius on price and mileage
  • 100,000 buyers a year—three times what the hybrid Civic sells.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Default Re: 2009 "Global Small Hybrid"

That isn't news--NewsWeek finally published a story that has been in the automotive news for over a month now.

I find the whole idea to be a somewhat of a joke. I could care less if the car I was driving looked like a hybrid or not, and (contrary to the findings of researchers), I don't think I'm in the minority here. The reason why the Prius is winning the sales war is that Toyota actually MARKETS the car whereas Honda has seemingly ignored the HCH unless they are tauting their overall corporate FE rating. Also, when the HCHII came out, it was not received as well by the automotive press because it is only a "mild" hybrid.

I predict that the new "hybrid-looking" Honda will continue to sell fewer units than the Prius unless Honda is successful at convincing customers that IMA is as fuel efficient at the Prius. Most people I talk to are not surprised that Honda offers a hybrid, but they are surprised that I get the fuel efficiency I do in my HCH. This will take a lot of marketing to overcome.

Personally, I'm a lot more interested in the soon to be announced CRX (hybrid) that should come out at the Frankfurt Auto Show next month. That will do more for Honda's hybrid image than a $22k hybrid sedan.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM

Well, I appreciate the Newsweek perspective and I can't wait to see the "Larva-shape" of things to come.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bad deal... I already want one and have never seen it. I must have Prius Envy of something like that...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Vegetarian

Ok first of all, hahahaha:
Originally Posted by Honda senior VP John Mendel
The Prius has become synonymous with hybrid; it's the Kleenex of hybrids.
Is the picture the car they are talking about? The caption doesn't sound like it is... if they don't have a concept version by now how can they expect it to be out by 09?

Originally Posted by kristian
The reason why the Prius is winning the sales war is that Toyota actually MARKETS the car whereas Honda has seemingly ignored the HCH unless they are tauting their overall corporate FE rating. Also, when the HCHII came out, it was not received as well by the automotive press because it is only a "mild" hybrid.

I predict that the new "hybrid-looking" Honda will continue to sell fewer units than the Prius unless Honda is successful at convincing customers that IMA is as fuel efficient at the Prius. Most people I talk to are not surprised that Honda offers a hybrid, but they are surprised that I get the fuel efficiency I do in my HCH. This will take a lot of marketing to overcome.

Personally, I'm a lot more interested in the soon to be announced CRX (hybrid) that should come out at the Frankfurt Auto Show next month. That will do more for Honda's hybrid image than a $22k hybrid sedan.

I agree, Honda needs to advertise their hybrids more. But does Toyota really do that much Prius advertising? The thing about the Prius being hybrid only is that it advertises itself. However, the Insight was a hybrid only, but that didn't help it. (I'm guessing it's the small size that mostly did it in). Also when the Civic hybrid first came out it actually out sold the gen 1 Prius, clearly hybrid only isn't everything.

I would love to see the CRX come back.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
But does Toyota really do that much Prius advertising? The thing about the Prius being hybrid only is that it advertises itself.
I've seen plenty of commercials for the Prius. Normally during American Idol, Gray's Anatomy, and sports breaks. Sunny fields and clean air followed by the rolling tire and "Moving Forward."

Wine Enthusiast magazine has adds for Mercedes AMG's, Land Rover, and the Prius

Plus I can remember back when the redesign for the Prius came out they had adds in the Showcase Cinemas. Same for Scion when it first emerged, I didn't even know it was a Toyota brand untill months after I saw the first add.

Add that to nearly all automotive websites, I'd dare guess Toyota has 50% of the add space. You don't beat the Big 3 by just offering great cars, you also package and cram them down everyones throat in advertising

Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Is the picture the car they are talking about? The caption doesn't sound like it is... if they don't have a concept version by now how can they expect it to be out by 09?

I would love to see the CRX come back.
Nope, that picture is the California designed hybrid sports coupe prototype. There was also a European designed prototype that looked a lot more like the CRX, but it was not specifically spelled out to be hybrid. The latest issue of Road and Track has the Japanese penned version that they say will be the new HYBRID (!) CRX. Supposedly it will be released in Frankfurt which is only a few days away.

My guess regarding the 2009 sub-HCH hybrid is that it will be heavily based on the new Fit so they can get it into production quickly. From what I've seen, it will be a small sedan though, not a hatch like the Fit. That's a bummer if true--I love the Fit but would not want a small sedan.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 AM

I love this pic:

I also love the Fit.

I have lots of honda love...

Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM

But does Toyota really do that much Prius advertising? The thing about the Prius being hybrid only is that it advertises itself.
I agree with ryan. There is a lot of TV and radio advertising for the prius. Not to mention it says hybrid on it 3 times, while the Civic (and insight too??) only says it once.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Enthusiast

I also have to agree that I don't really care whether the car is distinctive or not (in fact, I like the idea of a stealthy Civic). What made me decide against the HCH was the lack of trunk space. If there was a wagon version (or some other way to recover the cargo area lost to the batteries), then I'd be all over it. Since there isn't, it's the Prius I've got my eye on...