698.9 MILES - ONE TANK! Dangit! (and definitive answer to gas capacity)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 698.9 MILES - ONE TANK! Dangit! (and definitive answer to gas capacity)

UPDATE!! I GOT IT!!!

Yesterday I got to 730 miles! I had another 30-40 miles leftover but I was on a Toll Road and the next gas was around 30 miles, didn't want to push it and I had forgotten my gas can

Final Mileage was 51.4mpg, but that included the last 100 miles driving at 65-75mph. By the way, I was able to draft a semi during that time and average 48.8mpg for those 100 miles, going 65-70!!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 698.9 MILES - ONE TANK! Dangit! (and definitive answer to gas capacity)

Originally Posted by birchman2
My average for the round trip was 54.4mpg.... The mountains kill me and I used the AC with 3 people on the first part of the trip driving about 70mph.
54 MPG over mountains, at 70 MPH, with three people, with AC on.

Call me skeptical. Very skeptical.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

I got 700 miles per tank and at one point averaged 1,000 miles per gallon. Air conditioner on, cruising at 110mph up an 8% grade.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's stupid to fill up the "neck" of the gas tank JUST so you can try to get a 600-700-800 whatever it is miles on one "tank" of gas. What ever happened to just being proud of good old miles per gallon?

Old 05-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
54 MPG over mountains, at 70 MPH, with three people, with AC on.

Call me skeptical. Very skeptical.
Well I can put in more simple so you understand better. Up the mountains/hills bad mpg and down really good. Take serious advantage of flat land and minor downgrades. It can be done the highest I have seen was driving from Camarillo to Los Angeles. After finishing the trip the car read 54.7mpg up and down three mountains and the 405 from the 5 to about the 101 had to be a slight downgrade.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayTea
I got 700 miles per tank and at one point averaged 1,000 miles per gallon. Air conditioner on, cruising at 110mph up an 8% grade.
How did you do that?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM

I've got to say that the 'per tank' designation doesn't seem to mean too much, since tanks are different sizes and people fill them to different levels. Measuring per gallon makes more sense. If you're really trying to minimize stops at a filling station then you'd count the number of full gas cans you carry with you, or something like that. Either way, it's somewhat arbitrary. But still, congrats on the 700+ mpg tank, because whatever tweaks you're using, it does mean you're getting very good mpg, and that's an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by birchman2
Well I can put in more simple so you understand better. Up the mountains/hills bad mpg and down really good. Take serious advantage of flat land and minor downgrades. It can be done the highest I have seen was driving from Camarillo to Los Angeles. After finishing the trip the car read 54.7mpg up and down three mountains and the 405 from the 5 to about the 101 had to be a slight downgrade.
I understand perfectly, which is why I don't believe you. Nobody can get 54 MPG in an HCH going 70 MPH over hilly terrain with three passengers and the AC on.

I don't know, maybe you have the 62 mile reset bug and what you saw was the average MPG for the last 62 miles or less of your trip.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

did I say 700miles per tank? I mean't 7,000 miles per tank. I can't wait to post the pictures. That's with A/C, 8 people in the car, up an 8% grade the entire time.

But seriously, I'm going to try driving 15mph in the fast lane on Hwy 5 from SF to LA and see what mileage I get. Not only will I be saving gas, saving lives by slowing down traffic.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
I understand perfectly, which is why I don't believe you. Nobody can get 54 MPG in an HCH going 70 MPH over hilly terrain with three passengers and the AC on.

I don't know, maybe you have the 62 mile reset bug and what you saw was the average MPG for the last 62 miles or less of your trip.
The first part of the trip was that and it's calculated by both the odometer and the trip meter also. Remember this was a round trip the first trip to Sea World the Dash read 45.6. It was the second part of the trip coming back that I went on a terror trying for the best gas mileage I could. To make it simple it was rare that my MPG meter read below 50 even going up hills. I would sacrafice speed for MPG and take advantage of every possible downhill and straight away. Now the only thing weird that happened during the trip was my MPG meter when in the 72+ MPH range would space out and go down to 0 MPG. And three people total including me with one person being my son who weighs about 60lbs. Long story short I double checked the math even went to map quest to verify the distance. I was shocked that was the first long trip I took with this car. Next major trip will be to Yosemite and I'll post when that happens too. The trip to start from LA has major mountains but after that it's flat land for long distances. Or maybe go a hit Vegas there are tons of uphill stretches on that drive.

Quick Reply: 698.9 MILES - ONE TANK! Dangit! (and definitive answer to gas capacity)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands