Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit?

This is just a question to anyone who has heard about the tax credit for the 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, anyone know what it's projected to be?

I've seen lots of estimates for Honda Civic Hybrids (including in these forums) but they seem to all be for the 2005 (since they list manual and automatic) Civic Hybrid, with the auto being $2100.00, but I'm guessing that won't be accurate.

I would hope that the 2006 Civic Hybrid would do better than that, since it's a generation ahead of the 2005 systems and hopefully cleaner etc..

Anyone heard?

Scott

Old 11-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit?

From the IRS:

"The original purchaser of a qualifying hybrid gas-electric car may deduct $2,000 for the year the vehicle is first used, if that year is before 2006. In 2006, the deduction is scheduled to drop to $500. These vehicles qualify for the clean-fuel vehicle deduction:

• Ford Escape Hybrid — Model Year 2006
  • Mercury Mariner Hybrid — Model Year 2006
  • Lexus RX 400h — Model Year 2006
  • Ford Escape Hybrid — Model Year 2005
  • Toyota Prius — Model Years 2001 through 2005
  • Toyota Highlander Hybrid — Model Year 2006
  • Honda Insight — Model Years 2000 through 2005
  • Honda Civic Hybrid — Model Years 2003 and 2005
  • Honda Accord Hybrid — Model Year 2005"
here for more info (last updated 4/2005)
and here for the deduction in 2006

so IRS hasn't OK'd the 2006 HCH yet.

yet, honda website's says that there is a clean-fuel tax deduction for the 2006 civic hybrid

click here

all the forms are listed and whatnot, and it has explanations for how to file if you bought your hybrid in 2004 or in 2005.

anybody make sense of what's going on?

Last edited by bluecivichybrid; 11-29-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Wrong information
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
$2,000 if you purchased any new civic hybrid in 2005.

you can find this on the honda website for the new civic hybrid

click here

all the forms/information are listed and linked for you conveniently by honda.
It seems that we come back to this question about once a week and there's still confusion. The info on the Honda and IRS web sites is for the $2000 deduction that applies equally to all hybrids in 2005. It doesn't address the tax credit that will go into effect in 2006. The tax credit will be determined by a complicated formula that awards a different amount to different vehicle models.

To answer the original question, I think $2100 for the HCH is still our best guess. It probably was calculated based on the parameters of the 2005 model, and so it's possible IMHO that the actual credit will be slightly higher. We'll only know for sure when the proper regulation is published by the IRS. They seem to be in no rush because no one will be in a position to claim the credit until they turn in their 2006 tax return in 2007.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
We'll only know for sure when the proper regulation is published by the IRS. They seem to be in no rush because no one will be in a position to claim the credit until they turn in their 2006 tax return in 2007.
There are lots of people looking to buy a hybrid early next year based on that tax credit. Therefore it is incumbent on the Infernal Revenue Service to publish that information ASAP. Of course, since we're taking about a government agency here, logic & common sense go out the window.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
There are lots of people looking to buy a hybrid early next year based on that tax credit. Therefore it is incumbent on the Infernal Revenue Service to publish that information ASAP. Of course, since we're taking about a government agency here, logic & common sense go out the window.
They already published the guidelines on the credit well in advance, which is how we're able to estimate that it'll be about a $2000 credit for the HCH. We're hardly in the dark.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Owner

My Honda dealer was puzzled when I said I'll wait to buy in 2006. Then, he found an email from the manager (which I read while he was away) that described how a tax credit is dollar-for-dollar as opposed to a tax deduction where it's just a percentage. It went on to say $1k was necessary for the dealership to take delivery before 2006 and hold on to the car until Jan. 2006.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Re: Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit?

Originally Posted by moosh
It went on to say $1k was necessary for the dealership to take delivery before 2006 and hold on to the car until Jan. 2006.
Boy, ain't those guys SNEAKY! They're trying to suck the tax credit right out of the deal. What's a mother to do?

Don

Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
Boy, ain't those guys SNEAKY! They're trying to suck the tax credit right out of the deal. What's a mother to do?

Don
Delay your order so that delivery is after January 1.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:56 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Mine is supposed to arrive in a couple weeks. Ralph Schomp Honda is going to hold the car until after the first of the year. No deposit required...no additional payment required. Right now, they are selling for MSRP. Schomp never charges more than MSRP and doesn't have any additional charges or "forced options". You get the car exactly like you want it.

Of course, this is my fourth HOT selling Honda ('99 Ody, '03 Pilot (first off the lot), '05 Ody) that I am paying MSRP or near MSRP (never over MSRP) with them, so they know me well. Plus, they have made plenty off me already.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Owner

The 1k was a non-refundable deposit that goes towards the price of the car.

Originally Posted by dshelman

Don

Quick Reply: Anyone know the 2006 HCH Tax Credit?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands