Auto Stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop

This has been discussed before in other threads. My recollection is that people with the 03-05 HCH do not experience this to the degree that the 06 folks do. I've never had a vibration after an auto-stop in my 03, however it seems a good amount of 06 owners notice this.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 AM

Vibration is not the issue. The problem is that there is a delay between when autostop ends and when the car begins moving forward. If you just want to creep forward, this delay is very long -- at least one or two full seconds. If you press the gas pedal after letting up on the brake, the delay is about a second or slightly less, but that's still annoying, and the car lurches when it finally gets in gear.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
jmg14213

I only notice the vibration on restart if I try to stomp the gas immediately on lifting the brake. If I "pause" on the gas long enough for the engine to actually restart BEFORE trying to drive away, then I get a smooth restart and drive away.

I never notice a vibration on "stall", but then again I try to keep brake pedal pressure as low as possible so I can coast as far as possible after shut down.

Matt

Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonavy
Different people have different reactions to different amount of shaking; a person saying "it vibrates a lot" is almost useless without some type of objective reference or measurement (granted that's tough to do in the driver seat without some fancy tools). It's like calling music "too loud."
I think that's very true. I noticed the brief delay when I first got my 06, but now I don't notice it at all. I did some experiments when I first got the car, and again after reading this thread, and found that if I take my foot off the brake and press firmly on the gas as fast as possible, there's about a half-second delay before the car starts accelerating. If I just take my foot off the brake without pressing the gas at all, it takes maybe a second before it settles down into a steady idle and starts creeping. When I take my foot off the brake and press the gas at a normal speed (without trying to do it fast, but also not trying to delay at all; basically the way I drove my previous non-hybrid), I don't perceive any delay. In any case, I don't notice any vibration.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast

My experience is definitely a vibration no matter how quickly I hit the accelerator. I actually don't feel any delay the way I drive.

Autostop also makes it hard for me to stop gracefully. Usually I'll lift my foot up partially off the pedal as I come to a stop so that the car doesn't lurch back and forth when it finally stops, but (epsecially on a hill) when the engine turns off, this becomes more difficult to do. I think it's because I can roll back a bit when the engine disengages and that more brake pressure is require at that point.

-- Frank

Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I tend to think of it as a shudder, not a vibration. To-may-toe/to-mah-toe.

Don