auto-stop vs. idling (don't shoot me)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: auto-stop vs. idling (don't shoot me)

Originally Posted by Tim
When I test drove the HAH, it auto-stopped all the time. Once warm, there seem to be no criteria to limit how frequently it will kick in. I *think* the 06 HCH works the same. The HCH I is the only one that seems to have the "must go 10 mph" rule in order to auto-stop.
The HCH II definitely will not auto-stop repeatedly. If you stop and then let off the brake pedal, the engine restarts. In some cases you get one more chance to autostop again, after a short creep forward. But never more than one such chance. That is, at least, my experience.

One thing I don't understand is why it keeps the engine running in Park. I think they should have designed it so that the ICE turns on only when you shift into neutral or into gear, and it shuts off when you shift to Park. The only reason I can think of for not doing so is they were afraid of customer calls complaining that "my car won't start".

Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by ElanC
One thing I don't understand is why it keeps the engine running in Park. .
This issue has also been discussed here at length. The annoying part is that, say, you arrive at your home and the engine autostops. Then, as one shifts from "D" to "P", the engine will re-start, only to be shut off for good as one removes the key. A waste of starting energy, if you ask me...

So, by following an advice from a fellow forum poster, as I reach home (or any other final destination) and the engine autostops, I proceed to take it to "N", turn off the ignition by turning the key, then shift to "P" and only now completely remove the key.

"Manic-Compulsive disorder", is how my wife describes the sequence, but I think I'm saving a few milliamp hours of energy...

Old 01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
YA RLY.

Heh. I'll try that tonight, Fernando

Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by fernando_g
This issue has also been discussed here at length. The annoying part is that, say, you arrive at your home and the engine autostops. Then, as one shifts from "D" to "P", the engine will re-start, only to be shut off for good as one removes the key. A waste of starting energy, if you ask me...

So, by following an advice from a fellow forum poster, as I reach home (or any other final destination) and the engine autostops, I proceed to take it to "N", turn off the ignition by turning the key, then shift to "P" and only now completely remove the key.

"Manic-Compulsive disorder", is how my wife describes the sequence, but I think I'm saving a few milliamp hours of energy...
That does no good. The engine starts when you shift to N. The only way to avoid a restart would be to turn off the ignition while still in D with your foot on the brake.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have to back into my parking spot, so it doesn't work for me either. I wonder why they didn't decide to auto-stop in park. Probably for logistical reasons I'm sure, I just wish I knew what they were. Now its got me thinking....

Old 01-24-2006, 03:52 PM

I shift into neutral to coast without turning off the engine (which I never do while moving). I see great benefits there, so I am not tempted to turn off the engine because at any significant speed, I feel like coasting gets at least 90% of the benefit of a full-on FAS, so with safety in mind, the extra little bit isn't worth it.

I have not heard of the seven second rule, so I don't worry about it auto-stopping too often.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Energy Independence!

That does no good. The engine starts when you shift to N. The only way to avoid a restart would be to turn off the ignition while still in D with your foot on the brake.
You are right.....
when one is fully conditioned to do a sequence, one does it in "automatic brain mode" witout giving any thought to it. Thus, the innacuracy in the description.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

The HCH II definitely will not auto-stop repeatedly. If you stop and then let off the brake pedal, the engine restarts. In some cases you get one more chance to autostop again, after a short creep forward. But never more than one such chance. That is, at least, my experience.
Normal operation by design..see below

Originally Posted by Tim
When I test drove the HAH, it auto-stopped all the time. Once warm, there seem to be no criteria to limit how frequently it will kick in. I *think* the 06 HCH works the same. ***lkewin-NOT TRUE *** The HCH I is the only one that seems to have the "must go 10 mph" rule in order to auto-stop. Having said that, it would seem that if the 7 second rule were true, then the HAH and HCH II would be less efficient - even flawed by design - by employing such a frequent auto-stop strategy.
Per the '06 HCH owners manual (always a good reference when trying to determine if what your observing is happening "By Design" ) answers both the above comments.
Originally Posted by OwnersManual
The Auto Idle Stop function activates if you speed up to 8 mph (12 km/h) and brake to a stop. And it can be activated twice even if you speed up to 8 mph (12 km/h) or below and brake to a stop.
this of course assumes all the other conditions (Engine warm, no defrost, battery chanrged...etc) are met.

Last edited by lkewin; 01-25-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mexiken
And one thing: Neutral definitely seems to disengage the CVT, which gives me the general feeling that I can pick up more speed, but it does use SOME gas (to idle). Now, if I just let off the gas, the mpg meter will peg out to 100, and doesn't the ICE cutoff kick in ???? So aren't I in the long run BETTER off keeping it in gear and letting ICE cutoff come on (since it won't use gas) than cruising in neutral ???? Am I wrong about the ICE cutoff ????
I think the only trade here (at least in my 03) is that in Neutral the regenerative braking disengages, so I'm able to truly coast. In Drive, if I coast there is some amount of recharging going on. Unless I'm on a steep hill, coasting always slows me down, so I don't go as far.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tim
I think the only trade here (at least in my 03) is that in Neutral the regenerative braking disengages, so I'm able to truly coast. In Drive, if I coast there is some amount of recharging going on. Unless I'm on a steep hill, coasting always slows me down, so I don't go as far.
The regen can be kept in check by keeping a little pressure on the gas pedal - enough to not regen but not so much that the mileage comes down.

It's hard to tell if that's any better than using neutral because in both cases the mpg is pegged. We don't know if one is 121 mpg and the other is 500 mpg, so who knows which is better at that level.

120+ mpg is going to do good either way, so frankly it's my feeling that you're better off with whichever makes you feel more comfortable. Staying in gear in most cases will be safer in an emergency situation as you can react immediately with full capabilities, and not so if you're in N at the time.

Quick Reply: auto-stop vs. idling (don't shoot me)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands