Best Bet for Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Best Bet for Replacement Tires

I just bought a 2003 HCH and will need to get new tires in a couple of months. My last car was a modified Camaro Z28 convertible, and I did a good amount of research into replacement tires for that car to get the most out of what it was built for (Speed and Handleing) .

I would like to do the same thing with my HCH, but obvisouly it is built for a completely different purpose (economy and MPG!), and I am lost on how to start researching the best tire for the HCH.

I did a search on this forum assuming there would be some threads on tire selections, but didn't find anything relavent. I assume that some tires have a lower rolling resistance, which would be a good thing in this case, but those typically give up traction and handleing. When I say 'handleing', I mean for safety, not better lap times as with the Z28. I want to be able to balance handeling and MPG to find an happy equalibrium. I don't mind giving up a few MPG for comfort and handleing, but do want to stay with a tire suited to the car.

Anyone have any suggestions/experience?

Old 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Bet for Replacement Tires

Kumho Power Star 758!!! They are cheap, but are great tires. They come with a 40k warranty too. I have not noticed any type of mpg decrease with these tires.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting! I had Kuhmo EXTC's on my Z28 and they were the best handleing tire I have ever felt. Hard ride, but great dry traction. No side wall flex at all. I'll look at them.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you search for them on tirerack, you can read what other people say about them.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 PM

I bought Sumitomo HTR 200s, which got excellent reviews on TireRack and they're a very low-rolling-resistance tire; I saw no difference in MPG between them and the stock tires once they broke in (takes about 1000 miles for tires) though it's possible there was a 1- or 2-mpg difference, but probably not more than 1. However they are summer tires, useless in snow. I'm in southern California so they were great for me.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I replaced mine with Continental ContiTouringContact CV 95. They're also LRR. I should mention I upgraded to a 15" rim - not sure if it's availabie in a 14". However I like them a LOT better than the Dunlops. The car, dare I say, can actually take a corner. No noticeable change in FE either.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

Toyo Proxes 4 are A+ tires. Very good across the board. I would suggest them