A/C Failing after 1600 miles!! Ridiculous!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default A/C Failing after 1600 miles!! Ridiculous!

I just leased a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid. I have only put 1600 miles on it in 2 months, and just this afternoon my A/C has failed. Driving home from work (which is a good 25-30 minute drive), it continued to pump out luke-warm air. I've NEVER had any of my previous Honda or Acura car's A/C fail, and at just 1600 miles!!! I'm really starting to wonder about this car. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Anybody else had the same experience?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C Failing after 1600 miles!! Ridiculous!

I would wait to see what the service department has to say and how they fix it before letting them have it.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

First thing I did was look upper right to see where you live! That would be a catastrophe here and any other place that is considered warmish...

Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

Problem solved. I took it into the dealer today. They discovered that there was hardly any coolant in the system. There are no leaks, and the compressor is fine. So they said it's very likely when the car was delivered it had very little coolant in the system. They flushed the old stuff out (what little of it there was) and put new stuff in. Air is very cold now. Never heard of a brand new car being delivered with low coolant. guess they forgot to fill it up.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Many (many!) years ago I bought a new pickup (Ford), that had less than 2 quarts of oil in it - it held 5. I drove it less than 20 miles before light came on. No leak - just wasn't filled! Stuff happens...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I hope they weren't going for the quick fix. If there were a leak, it seems that I would likely see coolant leaking onto the floor of my garage, right? I haven't seen any fluids on the floor. Well, if there is a leak, I'll probably know about it again in a few weeks.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maloski
Well, I hope they weren't going for the quick fix. If there were a leak, it seems that I would likely see coolant leaking onto the floor of my garage, right? I haven't seen any fluids on the floor. Well, if there is a leak, I'll probably know about it again in a few weeks.
I'm not sure what that stuff does when it leaks. Just vapourize??

FYI, the coolant contains a lubricant. If there was no coolant, that could be bad: running the A/C without coolant is like running the engine without motor oil. If there was "some" coolant, sounds fishy. Could be a leak.

Best possibity: they simply charged insufficiently, as they said, but it's suffic. to lubricate things. Keep an eye on it, and be sure to get documentation as to the current work and diagnosis.