Can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I do it?

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Speaking of topping off, I learned this about the Civic GX natural gas vehicle:

"If driven from LA to Washington DC, the GX would emit less pollution than spilling a teaspoon of gasoline on the ground."
I was looking into getting the GX and I was told that it only gets around 200 miles per tank. So from LA to DC you would have to fill up like 15 times. Until a gas station company starts carring the natural gas for fill ups, I'll stick with the hybrid.

As for topping off. I always stop at the first click. My father had an issue with his van where some floating valve or gauge in the gas tank got jammed, and I think it was from topping off. The engine wouldn't work sometimes. So I always stop at first click.(besides that I usually go to the exact same pump for gas so I can calculate milage )

Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Update: 655 Miles with 3 bars left. Looking good so far.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tbaleno:

___3 Bars? You can make it out to 800 + miles on 3 bars Congrats on your first 700 + mile tank as it is in the bank now …

___Now that you know more about your HCH’s actual capabilities, 700 miles will be the new minimum range throughout the rest of Spring/Summer/Fall. In other words, this is just the first decent range tank of many to come from tomorrow on forward.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-12-2005, 06:47 PM

You think I should go for 800? I'm hearing I can get 100 miles on 2 bars. How much risk is there? Maybe I'll try.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Keepin it hyper yo

tbeleno: NO Problem on you getting to 700 . . . On my last take I got there WITHOUT topping off. Plus, I'm sure you are driving extra conservatively now!

I am in a "topped off" situation currently, and it was pretty funny seeing the gas gauge indicating "full" after almost 200 miles of driving - LOL. I'm shooting for an 800 mile tank this time! Tank mileage is over 60 . . . so far so good.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

This is totally like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer goes on a test drive with no gas in the tank to see if he and the salesman can keep it going!!!

Live on the edge! Hell try for 1000 miles.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Okay. For all those wanting to know. I hit 702.7 miles today. I hade one bar of fuel left and the low fuel light lit up this trip and was on steady by the time I got gas. I put in 12.357 Gallons in. I didn't top off I stoped at the first click. The computer showed 55.2 and my calculations are 56.87.

I think the person that mentioned stoping the pump when it clicks would get the calculated closer to the computer was dead on. This is the first time EVER my calculations showed more MPG than the computer.

I hope everyone enjoyed this thread. If I can get a 700 tank with out toping off I may try for an 800mile tank the next time I fill up.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congrats Tom,

That is really quite good. I'm comparing you to Hot_Georgia, of course

Old 05-13-2005, 05:30 PM

I understand

A side note. To make sure I had enough miles to make 700 I drove when we went to lunch. On the way back the guy in the passenger seat is like "Why are you driving so slow. I said "Look at the speedometer." It showed 40mph. Then I "said whats the speed limit?" He looked at the sign we were coming up on. It showed a 40mph speed limit. I told him you don't feel like its fast because I"m not constantly accelerating and decelerating. Also, he may be used to doing 50 in 40 zones. I'll have to break him of that habit.

I have no problems with people passing me now when I am going the speed limit. I have gotten over the feeling that I'm the one doing something wrong. THEY are the ones speeding. They should be embarased.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations!

Billy

Quick Reply: Can I do it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands