Can you fit a road bike in the 2k6 HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 AM
YA RLY.
Default Can you fit a road bike in the 2k6 HCH?

One thing I hate about winter is that all the good bike railtrails are pretty much closed when it starts to snow. Come springtime, I'll be back on my road bike pedalling away. But since the HCH can't fold down it's rear seats, I don't think it will fit. With my current Civic, I can remove the front wheel, fold down the rear seats, and still get the bike in the car.

If I remove the front wheel will a road bike frame fit in the rear seating area? My rear wheel also has a quick release. Is it possible to remove both wheels and get it in the trunk (I'd rather not deal with the greasy chain though)?

If this fails, etrailer.com says it will have a no-drill tow bar for the 2k6 Civic sometime in January. I emailed them about the fitment for the Hybrid. They responded that they will have all pertinent information by January 3rd.

Heh. I think I see why people like SUV's so much

Old 12-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: Can you fit a road bike in the 2k6 HCH?

Yep.

It's called Roof Rack.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The worst part is the trunk for the hybrid is even smaller than the trunk for the other models (EX, LX, etc.). That's because the batteries sit right behind, and up against, the rear seat. If memory serves, the cubic feet available on the hybrid is 10.3 (and the EX is 12.something). It's not very big. Roof rack or the other thing from etrailer.com sounds like your best bet.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I can't answer the question specifically about a road bike, but I can tell you that I put a mountain bike into the rear seat area. I removed the front wheel, and put the bike into the floor area, rear tire first, with the front of the frame angled up a bit and laying backwards towards the back of the car.

As I recall, the bike frame itself ended up tilted at about a 30 to 45 degree angle, rear to front; and laying back a bit towards the rear of the car, with the back tire of the bike sitting on the floor.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
YA RLY.

Thanks, coyote. I'll wait until I get confirmation from the trailer hitch website, but I'll have to try that first before I buy anything.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
kbb
Enthusiast

My 2006 HCH is supposed to come in tomorrow. I cart my bikes around a lot and will check to see if a roadbike fits. It's quite small though - I ride a 52cm.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by kbb
My 2006 HCH is supposed to come in tomorrow. I cart my bikes around a lot and will check to see if a roadbike fits. It's quite small though - I ride a 52cm.
Thank you, kbb. Mine is a 56cm. Not a whole lot bigger.

If anyone cares, I just found out from etrailer.com that the two hitches listed for the 2k6 Civic will fit the Hybrid and they are both in stock. If I have to carry the bikes externally, I'd rather get a hitch. A roof rack with a bike on it really kills your FE. The hitch-mounted rack is almost completely within the car's wake and will lower your FE minimally.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Speaking from experience, I have a 2004 HCH with a hitch mounted rack, the impact on FE in town is minimal. When you get on the open road it is a different matter all together. I was hauling a "hybrid" bike, which is a little larger than a road bike, but the FE went down at least 1 MPG over a course where I normally stay the same or improve slightly.

Billy

Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
YA RLY.

1 MPG isn't bad. On a review I found for the HCH-I on another website, the owner first tried a roof rack for his bike and the FE dropped 5+ MPG. That's significant.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

My ride was a fairly short ride, less than 30 minutes. Do you know the ride of the other person?

Billy

Quick Reply: Can you fit a road bike in the 2k6 HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands