car rolling back

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default car rolling back

It has happened to me a few times at a stop of a slight uphill incline, and the Auto Stop activated. As soon as I got my foot off the breaks, the car started to roll backward! It got me scared! And this morning, with the engine was still on, i got to my driveway (uphill incline) with my foot off the gas pedal, and the car rolled back! Did it happen to anyone? Is this due to the fact that the car not having the traditional "gear box"? I don’t want to cause an accident. What should I do to avoid this?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: car rolling back

Use the hand brake. That is how we always used to have to restart on a hill.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tulip
Use the hand brake. That is how we always used to have to restart on a hill.
What a pain! And the thing is that I am talking about a stiff incline/hill. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Or drive with 2 feet. Start on the gas gently with your right foot while releasing the brakes with your left...

Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
World's First Hybrid

Usually what I do is:

When approaching an uphill stop sign or "stale" red light, I sometimes shift the transmission into "S", which will override the "auto-stop" function. Or, I'll coast up to the red light and apply the foot brake and let the auto-stop do its thing, then, just before the light changes to green, I'll quickly release the foot brake and reapply to get the ICE started for a quick get away. Just remember to double check for any cross traffic so you don't get T boned by some zipper brain on a cell phone running the light.

Also, when I'm driving in stop and go traffic through a congested town or city center, I'll just leave the transmission in "S" for a minute or two so the auto stop doesn't engage.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe the car has some type of hill-stop function to prevent it from rolling back when in autostop.

I know it works, because I tried it the other day on a steep hill and when I let go of the brake... the car did not roll backwards.

HOWEVER... I can recall another instance (in traffic) where the car DID roll back during an autostop, as I was lifting my foot off the brake to begin accelerating. I had to abort the accel, and jam on the brake so I didn't roll back into the car behind me. I then used the handbrake while I was moving my foot to the gas. So... I guess it's intermittant! Be careful!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The only problem with using your handbrake is that you shouldn't have to. Its an automatic transmission. Honda should have addressed this. I remember reading somewhere that they did, but I've noticed it roll back too.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mexiken
The only problem with using your handbrake is that you shouldn't have to. Its an automatic transmission. Honda should have addressed this. I remember reading somewhere that they did, but I've noticed it roll back too.

A CVT is not like the automatic transmissions most of us are used to using. The CVT belts have give and the weight of the car will let it rolll backwards on downhill slopes until gas is supplied (even my Acura TL will roll back a hair) more like a manual transmission.

In any event, a small tap to the gas will stop the roll or else swap feet on the brakes and hold the brake with your left foot while giving a small amount of gas before you take off on an uphill start. (Kind of like letting out the clutch while giving the car gas...)

Last edited by mickster; 06-08-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Correcting my error ;-)
Old 06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster
A CVT is not like the automatic transmissions most of us are used to using. The CVT belts have give and the weight of the car will let it rolll backwards on downhill slopes until gas is supplied (even my Acura TL will roll back a hair) more like a manual transmission.

There is no "hill holder" like on some cars. I'm not sure where some read that there was, but if I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.

In any event, a small tap to the gas will stop the roll or else swap feet on the brakes and hold the brake with your left foot while giving a small amount of gas before you take off on an uphill start. (Kind of like letting out the clutch while giving the car gas...)
On Page 173 of the 2006 Owner's Manual there is a feature called "Creep Aid System" that reads as follows "When you release the brake pedal while your vehicle idles, this feature keeps the braking pressure until the engine starts, and prevents the vehicle from dropping back."

I have seen this in action but only on steeper hills. Today I had the car roll back on 2 slight inclines. I figured I wasn't depressing the accelarator quick enough after releasing the brake.

Mark

Old 06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I never read the manual. I will one day when I have some time.

Makes me wonder why we all have cars that creep in spite of this "Creep Aid System."

I edited my post to correct for my error.

Quick Reply: car rolling back

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands