car rolling back

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
iSteve
Default Re: car rolling back

i Took my car in for its 1000klm service (check over) and the dealer couldnt identitfy the problem with the car rolling back, its some what unerving at first,

it dawned on me later that you must simply release the brake pedal quickly and the creep aid takes over, (if you ease of the brake pedal as it is human nature to stop you rolling it wont engage the creep aid) then simply press the accelarator as you would normally

Steve

Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Hybrideriffic!

Originally Posted by Steve
it dawned on me later that you must simply release the brake pedal quickly and the creep aid takes over, (if you ease of the brake pedal as it is human nature to stop you rolling it wont engage the creep aid) then simply press the accelerator as you would normally
I agree with you Steve...

I'm one of those drivers that eases up on the brake pedal pressure as the car comes to a stop in order to have a smooth (not sudden) stop. After the car comes to a complete stop, I then firmly apply the brake to make sure the car won't move again.

By firmly pushing on the brake pedal after coming to a complete stop, I've found the anti-rollback feature on my HCH II has never allowed the car to roll back, even on the steepest of hills. On occasions where I *didn't* apply firm pressure after coming to a stop, I've have experienced the car rolling back when taking my foot off the brake.

It seems to me there's some pressure point (or possibly movement distance) of the brake pedal required before the anti-rollback feature is engaged. If you don't meet or exceed that point, then you may experience a rollback.

Best regards,

John L.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

I've been researching to buy an HCH II and find this thread interesting. I'm just not clear how quickly the engine takes to kick in. I know in my accord 4 cyl it will roll 12 inches back by the time my foot moves from the brake to the gas. What is happening with the HCH? Is your foot on the gas but the engine has started yet so you are in a free fall backward? How far back are you moving before it catches? Sounds scarry.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twolazydogs
Sounds scarry.
Not to worry! The HCHII has an anti-rollback feature. When it's in "autostop" (engine off) and you're on an incline, the car will stay put even if you take your foot off the brake. Only when you touch the gas and the engine restarts will the brake release. It works quite well!

The thread has comments (including my own!) which indicate that on rare occasions the car will roll back. Most have indicated this happens when the brakes were only lightly applied and / or if you're on a very slight incline.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

My HCH II rolls backwards quite frequently. I hope they get they address this in future models; it's a little disconcerting at times.

- Frank

Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Proud owner HCHII

What is your hand brake for? Use of it relieves the transmission of the stress of trying to go forward when the weight of the car plus the pull of gravity is dragging you back. It is lazy and mechanically harmful IMO to expect the CVT to take this strain unaided. Pull up on the hand brake while holding the button down on it then release the hand brake whilst at the same time accelerating away..

Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: car rolling back

It doesn't only happen on hills. Whenever you go from reverse to drive, the car will continue rolling backward for quite some distance before engaging and continuing forward. It SUCKS. Especially when you're in a busy parking lot.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Spiffme

Did you purchase an extended warranty? You will I suspect need it if you are using the CVT to brake from reverse and then go forward. If I were you I would bring the car to a complete halt, instead of asking the transmission to do this for you. before changing gear.