Credit to tarabell and msantos!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Credit to tarabell and msantos!

I took delivery of my brand new 2008 Honda Civic Bybrid back in Dec 2007. Back then, I have little or no knowledge of what the ICE+Electric motor car could give.

Reading both

tarabell's article ... http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306 and many of

msantos replies like ... http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/msa...id-oracle.html

had helped me take advantage of the hybrid.

I managed to clock over 51 mpg (21.7 km per l) over a 1 year period (from Dec 2008 till today - Feb 6 2009).

My specs in achieving 51 mpg...

1. Tires at 44 psi
2. with Aircon at 25 degrees C
3. start and drive off immediately in the morning and let the car warm up by driving gently for the first 5 to 10 minutes. Watching the instantaneous mpg gauge to ensure that I don't use too much gas. Best to have at least 50 mpg although slightly lower is fine.
4. I drive over 30 miles per trip with 60% (Stop & Go) 40% on freeway.
5. Speed any where between 45 mph and 60 mph, I could achieve over 75 mpg. Whenever possible, I would drive at speed to achieve the highest possible i mpg noting the traffic condition, terrain, gear ratios, etc.
6. Use RON 92 gas.
7. Use 5W-30 Mobil 1 as 0W-20 is not available. I believe I could get better mileage using 0W-20.

As per M Santos's recommendation, I try not to drive on Electric - only mode as this will deplete the batteries very quickly. If ( for short distance ) I wish to increase mpg, I use Electric - only mode making sure that the white bars never exceed 2 following Santos' guide. This may reduce damage to batteries through high drainage current.

Meanwhile, I am still trying to squeeze more juice out of the hybrid although I think 51 mpg with only 40% on HWY is not a bad number.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Credit to tarabell and msantos!

Yes I agree 51 is really good! I think you can do better if you have lots of time and the trafic is light, but most of us do not have extra time to spare . Town driving is the killer for the HCH11. I agree msantos and Wayne give us alot of info as well as the Tarabell articale.
Cheers
H

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Credit to tarabell and msantos!

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid
I took delivery of my brand new 2008 Honda Civic Bybrid back in Dec 2007.
Congrats on your purchase.

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid
As per M Santos's recommendation, I try not to drive on Electric - only mode as this will deplete the batteries very quickly. If ( for short distance ) I wish to increase mpg, I use Electric - only mode making sure that the white bars never exceed 2 following Santos' guide. This may reduce damage to batteries through high drainage current.
Excellent advice IMHO. Many people are proud of how far they can drive in electric only mode but in the case of a non-plug in hybrid this has never sounded like a good idea to me. Charging and discharging the battery is very inefficient compared direct mechanical or electrical pathways. Laying off the pack should both increase efficiency and increase battery life expectancy.

Last edited by BigTuna; 02-13-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling