CVT delay when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Argumentative Enthusiast
Question CVT delay when cold?

I've recently acquired a 2003 HCH CVT w/25K miles, and I love it to death. The one thing that concerns me right now is that when shifting out of Park when the engine is cold, there seems to be a 2-4 second delay before the tranny really seems to engage. This happens when shifting to either R or D (haven't tried S or L). It's not that it takes 2-4 seconds for the car to move, it's just a very light engagement for that time, and then it quickly but softly engages fully after that. However, if I touch the gas pedal during this delay, it very abruptly engages and the car jumps a little; I've learned not to do that. Again, this is only when the car is completely cooled (as cool as it gets in Phoenix), and any other time it feels normal.

I've checked the fluid level, and that's fine. The manual says to change it at 30K, perhaps I should go ahead and do that now. Anyone experienced something similar?

Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I call what you describe as an automatic transmission "creep", which normally occurs with "normal" transmissions due to the torque converter.

Our cars don't have the torque converter so they put in a device to simulate it...because we are used to the "creep".

Sometimes I've noticed it hasn't engaged in mine also: My car is sitting on flat ground and I put it in gear while idling and nothing happens, until I add a tiny amount of gas and it engages. Almost like it is a centrifical device.

It's such a tiny thing that I'm not going to be alarmed about it. My CVT did occasionally jerk or slip a little, until the 30K service schedule and CVT oil change.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

This same problem has crept up on me (?pun intended) w/my '03 CVT at 35k miles. It definitely seems to be exacerbated by the cold weather (Seattle 40's-50's). Also own an '01 Prius and haven't had any CVT issues there. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow to see if there is any reason for concern and to get it repaired before the 36k warranty expires. Will update then.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

As it turns out the technician reports no malfunction of CVT with this issue. He reports that this is a very common phenomenon with cold starts and cold temps in general. Good thing since the warranty expires in 300 or so miles. Now if only I could get the front windshield to stop cracking...

Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Argumentative Enthusiast

Good to hear, thanks.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and experience the exact same thing. I don't think its a problem.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

I'm glad to see others have experienced this. I just purchased a 2003 HCH with 12k miles on it (off eBay no less) and have only gone through one tank so far. In the mornings when it's cold I've noticed this abrupt jerk as well; though it seems it only kicks in when the vehicle is at an angle. I have to say I LOVE the car so far!!