Dealer Documentary charges BS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer Documentary charges BS?

Wow that's pretty good. Here there's a waiting list and I got lucky to get mine. They came down off window sticker $300, but there was a $300 doc fee on top of that so it was basically window sticker out the door. That was pretty good because considering I had a guy at another Honda dealership that told me he'd give me $500 over window sticker for it right then.

I know, doc fee's sound like a lot of BS, but the Dealerships have to pay fees to 3rd parties to get some of the necessary paper work done.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:55 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: Dealer Documentary charges BS?

Originally Posted by Rick
Wow that's pretty good. Here there's a waiting list and I got lucky to get mine. They came down off window sticker $300, but there was a $300 doc fee on top of that so it was basically window sticker out the door. That was pretty good because considering I had a guy at another Honda dealership that told me he'd give me $500 over window sticker for it right then.

I know, doc fee's sound like a lot of BS, but the Dealerships have to pay fees to 3rd parties to get some of the necessary paper work done.
Hi Rick; and welcome to greenHybrid. I take it that you have already taken delivery of your 06 HCH ll is that correct? You did not want to wait like two-weeks and take delivery in Jan. of 2006 and get the Tax Credit of around $2,000.00 Dollars which is for dollar on the dollar off your Taxes.

Terry

Old 12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Vegetarian

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Easy way to get around it is to be prepared to walk.
my dad gave me that hint too. my mom kept saying we were looking at a mazda, brand new for the same price, but i don't think they believed we were that serious about the other car. plus atleast 1 other person called about the HCH while we were there, i think like 6 people called that day after we bought it. if we had walked we'd have lost it. we got a good deal anyway.

Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here in North Phoenix, we found a single dealership with one hybrid. It had a $969 application initiation fee and a $3,500 "market adjustment" added to the sticker. With all their other crap, the dealer had tacked on over $5,000 worth of nothing. It's going to be tough until they start delivering more cars to our area.

Old 12-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Just wait it out if you can. No reason to buy a car under those conditions unless you are desperate. Hold on to what you have. Let the dealer sit on that car. at a $5,000 markup if someone wants to pay that much for the car let them have it. Its not like honda is going to run out of HCHs.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Just wait it out if you can. No reason to buy a car under those conditions unless you are desperate. Hold on to what you have. Let the dealer sit on that car. at a $5,000 markup if someone wants to pay that much for the car let them have it. Its not like honda is going to run out of HCHs.
I agree. I read that Honda's only going to produce 25K hybrids this year. That means the tax credit (what ever it is) should be available through next year for Honda. It's just annoying and I know somebody is going to pay at part of that markup ... further encouraging that behavior.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by jamriman
My dealer wants to charge me a $129 clerical , equiment usage, dealership online processing charge. Anyone get hit with thiis charge and refuse to pay it? thanks and happy holidays!
Well there IS some clerical/notary stuff involved that's outside the actual transaction of buying the car - power of attorney for transferring the title, all the paperwork filing, etc. (I used to be a notary public. Didn't do it out of the Goodness of My Heart.)

A hundred bucks or so sounds *reasonable* depending on what your state requires and whether you're processing a trade and paying off the loan on your old car etc. because there's a bit of paper crunching/administrative stuf involved (as as the margins wheetle lower on a car, it's tough to turn a profit if the retailer has to eat that.

I'd guess it would be easy to NOT pay that on a high-margin item like a Denali and less-so on a low-margin sale like a Hybrid.

"Dealer Prep" (getting the car ready for delivery, putting in a full tank of gas, and having all the (standard) parts installed) is included in the price - Honda pays the retailer for that. But you'll probably have to pay those administrative fees, for the greedy notaries of the world who want to get paid, and for doing the legwork of processing the pay-off on your trade, etc. It's a ton of paper, and somebody has to crunch it.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Here in North Phoenix, we found a single dealership with one hybrid. It had a $969 application initiation fee and a $3,500 "market adjustment" added to the sticker. With all their other crap, the dealer had tacked on over $5,000 worth of nothing. It's going to be tough until they start delivering more cars to our area.

Application initiation fee. That's a new one. I've heard the "Market Adjustment" here before too - they did it on that retro truck-thing from Chevy when it first came out (5 grand, handwritten on the sticker) and they're probably still doing it for a new Mini, since there's only 2 stores in the state that sell them new.

The "Application Initiation Fee" sounds like the tactics of the "Buy it Here/Pay it Here" kind of financing. There's usually a scenario in which the dealer keeps one of your keys, held in trust in case of non-payment by some guy named "Kneecaps Charlie" or "Vinnie the Fin"

You'd probably do better by driving to San Diego, getting a hotel room, and buying the car there/driving back.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
You'd probably do better by driving to San Diego, getting a hotel room, and buying the car there/driving back.
That's what's great about living Phoenix. We are checking Las Vegas, San Diego and all points in between. There are plenty of dealerships within a 4 hour radius.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes I have already taken delivery of mine, and actually I'm pretty sure I've already got it sold to a relative as soon as the one I want comes in. I had a Opal blue one on order but they called me when someone backed out of their Alabaster Silver one. So I should also be taking delivery of an Opal Blue one after the new year when it comes in.

AZMerf, go talk to Louis in Fleet Sales at Arrowhead Honda. We delt with him and it was really a no BS deal.

Quick Reply: Dealer Documentary charges BS?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands