Driving Blind

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks
Default Driving Blind

I know I am not the only one who constantly watches the gauges to insure I am driving as good as I can but........
Am I the only person who turns the instrument light down/off so I cannot see the real time or avg mpg?
After my daily drive I turn it back up/on to see if I have learned anything?
Anyone else try/do it?
Clif

Old 02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Default Re: Driving Blind

For my last 5 tanks I've kept the instantaneous mileage gauge permanently switched to engine temperature because I kept focusing attention on it instead of just enjoying the drive and looking at the scenery. I'd go for a drive and then realize I never saw anything since all I did was watch the gauges.

I do keep my trip mileage displayed, and I look at it fairly often, but I have no problem with it and it's not distracting.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't gone that far, but I have tried driving without looking at it, because frankly
I sometimes feel chained to it like an obsession or a drug habit, and other times I feel that looking down too much is a safety hazard.

Sometimes I try to drive the way I used to before I had those guages just for fun,
my mileage drops right back to the 42 I got on the first tank. But to drive again for the sheer joy of it was wonderfully refreshing, I was no longer driving to please some guage that has hypnotized me for months now.

Lately I have been trying to find a compromise, driving 65+ the way I used to, but keeping all the enlightened techniques I have learned, it is netting me about 44ish down from the 48 I used to get. Some of that is winter, and some is going faster.

You may be pleased to know I put the intake mod back too.

I have decided I like it. :-)

The data from the intake/muffler-mod thread seemed to indicate to me that a leadfoot benefits more from the mod than a hyper-miler does. I actually experienced less mpg when I was trying to drive slowly, but saw higher mpg on a long trip where I went 65+.

My old leadfoot is slowly creeping back, I long for the fast lane, the feel of the wind whistling past my windshields at 65+, and the joy of leaving slowpokes in my dust. :-)

I have started down the dark path... or returned to it... feels good. :-)

- Kurt

Old 02-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

I am a 95% or greater freeway driver, 72-4mph most of the time and on occasion I am night driving 67-9mph. Example 24.1 miles to my work; 4 miles speed limit is 40-45 and the rest is rolling hills highway. I am able to run with the big boys bobbing and weaving and still get 52-59 depending on the temps. This morning I drove blind and got 58.2 in 40deg weather, it can be done with more power just requires more discipline . I am trying to perfect the driving without the instruments because I have a love hate relationship with staring at them.
Clif

Glad to hear about the air, more can't be a bad thing except it makes you want to drive "more" faster.

Last edited by Duc; 02-09-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
YA RLY.

I only watch the gauge while I'm accelerating. When I can cruise at constant speed, I usually ignore it.