Driving an EX like a hybrid....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!
Default Re: Driving an EX like a hybrid....

33 MPG is very close to the old EPA ratings yes?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:04 AM
04 prius 350,000km

huh whoa, i'm just lazy to check my emails, and i will always be around as long as there is some gas to save.

but tomtom is right, high engine load without the fuel enrichment can only equal best engine efficency. Usually between 1400-2300 rpm (for my prius anyways).

wow tiger you drive an accord hybrid now? YOu ballered up didn't you!?!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Ice
I have previously owned a Civic EX and used to love that car. At that time, I was always getting in trouble with speed. I would add modifications to "try" to be faster. I went to motorcycles right after, then with only motorcycles. Now that rain was going to hit San Diego, I decided to jump on the Hybrid wagon.

Mentally I am glad I made that transition. It feels that, when in a hybrid and you know you dont have the HP, you maintain a moderate speed. When you know you have a "fast" car, you are always pushing the pedal "as if gas was free".

Anyways.. I just wanted to add my $.02

Everybody should drive as though they have a Hybrid, even though they may not have one. No reason to go fast... wake up early, take your time to go to work/school, get a cup of coffee on the way and CHILL !
Black Ice, I certainly agree, that if everybody drove like they owned a hybrid, the roads would be safer, and people would be so much calmer

I drive my 02 Ford Ranger, 3.0L, 5sp Manual, using Pulse & Glide Techniques. One difference is in the glide -> Your Glide can render better fuel savings if your particular vehicle is capable of entering "Fuel Cutoff Mode". My Ranger, and old Ford Explorer, both are. The 02 Ranger is wonderful in this mode, and more efficient gliding in 5th gear vs. neutral. Engine turns, but fuel is completely cutoff, so consumption is ZERO, just like a hybrid. Once my speed drops to ~25mph, Fuel pump comes back on, and GPH is the same as being in neutral. That's the moment that I depress the clutch.

If you use a ScanGauge, you can tell by monitoring GPH and Horsepower (HPR). In fuel cutoff mode, GHR and HPR will drop to 0. Also, your instant MPG will be 9999 (infinite).

Using this and other hybrid driving techniques results in good, if not spectacular, fuel mileage... That part of my odometer above 60mph is never used anymore. I LOVE being relaxed.

Last edited by KenE; 01-05-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

wow tiger you drive an accord hybrid now? YOu ballered up didn't you!?!
haha. You have been gone for sooooo long.