Dumb question, need creative answer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Dumb question, need creative answer...

We recently bought our 2nd HCHII and now I have two identical keys on my keychain.

I am constantly using the wrong one first.

I need to be able to pick the right one out of my pocket.

So far the ideas have been a sticker, paint drop, twist-tie... all would work but are less than desireable.

So, please let me hear some better ideas.

Thanks, and my apologies for such thread...

Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dumb question, need creative answer...

Simple. You have at least two other keys on the chain, right? Put the two fobs close together, then put the key you use the most next to the fob you use most. That's the visual cue. Now for taking it out of your pocket, if you have something hanging off your fob like many do, like a clip or a thumbdrive, etc, put that next to one of the fobs. That's the "touch" cue.
Last resort, get one of those pull-apart keychains that has two separate chains linked together. One fob on each, distribute keys as needed, and make the two key rings different sizes.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by noflash
We recently bought our 2nd HCHII and now I have two identical keys on my keychain.

... I need to be able to pick the right one out of my pocket...
Ahhh... the joys of dual HCH ownership

I side with uwaku's advice.
Unfortunately, short of changing the feel of one of the keys by doing something to it, I believe you are in a VERY serious pickle, my friend. .

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

Do the keys have any sort of transmitter in them (whether for the anti-theft or remote doors)? If not, you may be able to just get a copy cut; my backup set is just a piece of metal, it doesn't have the large plastic top (though that's an Accord, not a HCH). Similarly, did the car come with a valet key that's different enough to identify quickly?

Failing that, you could take one car in to the dealership and rekey it so they both run off the same key. Should only be a few hundred bucks.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM

With the size of the Honda key, how in the heck do you fit two of them onto one ring!?!? And one guy suggests putting both of them on your ring along with both remotes? Where you gonna find a keyring the size of a hula-hoop, and whose pocket is that supposed to fit in?
:-)

As for the previous post, I have been dreaming of a simple flat metal key ever since I bought my HCHI. I have looked and searched far and wide and the consensus is that it's impossible. There's an immobilizer chip in that horrible **** of a key, so aside from sawing off the metal part, drilling a hole in the stub for the keyring, and gluing the **** to the steering column, there isn't much that can be done about it. Pisses me off every day.

I suppose the only thing worse than having a honda key on your ring is having two of them... but look at the bright side, at least you don't have two Volkswagens.

Last edited by zimbop; 04-02-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 AM

You could use the the regular remote key for your primary vehicle and the "attendant" spare key for the second vehicle. The spare key still opens the door and starts the car. The only thing it cannot do is lock or unlock the remote trunk (via the pull lever to the left of the driver's seat).

If your setup is such that you're primarily driving one vehicle and your spouse is driving the other... and you each only occasionally use the other's vehicle, then this should be an ideal solution.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 AM

It's like a riddle, wrapped in an enigma!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 AM

My old FOBs had the ability to be programmed to open up 2 cars. Does the new HCHII not have this ablity any more? You will still need 2 keys, but you would only need 1 FOB.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:43 PM

I like Jeff's solution- my valet key came in gray and the regular keys were black, so there'd be no danger of mixing them up if you each had each others' valet key. Yours might not be gray, though, I suppose.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM

We switch cars all the time. Not sure I want to look my remote features.

And for others the fob and key are one.

Now, I'm thinging knicknack, flair, extra key chain to attach to primary key.

Thanks for everyone's help in this counfounding dilemma.

Quick Reply: Dumb question, need creative answer...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands