FAS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FAS question

Hi Zimbop:

___When the CVT or MT based HCH is in neutral, the CVT is not involved with an IMA start.

___Livvie, at the high speed target, Shift to N, ICE-Off, let out the clutch and coast. When you hit your low speed target, ICE-On, engage with a rev match, and reaccelerate.

___And with that, I was experimenting with high speed FAS’ing inside of a cyclic P&G out on the tollway on my way home from work and the results in the PZEV were outstanding.

High Speed P&G in a non-hybrid ...

___I hope those of you with MT based HCH’s achieve similar results at these kinds of stupid speeds! Just do a rev match before tranny engagement and get her back up to 60, 65, and even 70 mph and let her coast down gracefully for a repeat.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Enthusiast

oh hell no, im not push starting it! lol

I only did that once, never again.

I found a good speed to restart the ICE and it doesnt buck anymore. And I have always matched revs before putting it back into D. Even before tryin FAS when id just coast in N

Old 10-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast

I wish I could do pulse and glide more. Most if not all of my travel is on 2 lane roads, and pusle and glide pisses off the speed demons. I think I am doing well at 47 mpg average, two lane roads, lots of curves and uphill. my routes back usually take me elsewhere, so I cant use the downhills very often

Old 10-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Seems to me that with the '06 HCH, this will be immaterial as the variable valve configurations should simulate turning off the engine on log downhill slopes.

Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Don

Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 AM
04 prius 350,000km

are you saying for hch cvt's if you FAS and you try to restart in N with the key, it will try to use the 12 volt starter rather than from the main battery pack?

but if the shifter is in D, then keying on will call to the powerful electric motor and battery instead?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
are you saying for hch cvt's if you FAS and you try to restart in N with the key, it will try to use the 12 volt starter rather than from the main battery pack?

but if the shifter is in D, then keying on will call to the powerful electric motor and battery instead?
I haven't actually tried it, but if the HCH is like any other car with an automatic transmission you cannot turn on the ignition when in D.