Free parking - city of Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Free parking - city of Los Angeles

Thanks!

This is VERY helpful (and makes me happy as a valley resident).

Also - snooping around, it looks like the typo is in the month - found several places where it is listed as an 18 month program. Not an 8 month program.

ally

Old 09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

As an Orange County resident, I don't head up to LA much but I will be going to LAX this week. I've been trying to find out if LAX is included in free parking program. Getting a reliable answer was about as difficult as asking the DMV about HOV stickers. I've concluded that LAX is included in the program.

I first called the Los Angeles Parking Violations Bureau (213-623-6533). When I first mentioned the word, "hybrid," the agent immediately told me that they have been voiding tickets issued to hybrid owners. I guess it's been a problem. They informed me that LAX is included the program.

The LA DOT main office (213-972-8470) insisted that LAX is not included since it is "off-street" parking. (The notice on the DOT website indicates that off-street parking is included.)

The LA DOT transferred me to a Sgt. Perez for the tiebreaker answer. She informed me that LAX is included in the program.

Two out of three... those odds are good enough for me. I'll print out the notice from the DOT website in large font and tape it to my windshield just in case.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Where at LAX are you planning to park? I would assume that the public lots are not included in this program.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
EKL
Active Enthusiast
Talking Updated Free Parking Info...

Free Parking Info
http://www.lacity.org/LADOT/FreePark.htm
Free Parking for Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs), Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs) and certain Hybrid Vehicles - Pilot Program
If you own a Zero Emission Vehicle or Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle as defined by the California Air Resources Board, you may purchase a California Clean Air Vehicle Decal from the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Once you have purchased and affixed the decal to your vehicle per DMV instructions, you can park without depositing coins at on- and off-street metered parking spaces throughout the City of Los Angeles (however, you remain subject to the posted time limit restrictions and other higher order parking restrictions like Tow Away and Street Cleaning.)

On October 1, 2004, participation in this free metered parking program was extended to four hybrid vehicle models: the Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid, Toyota Prius, and the Ford Escape Hybrid. The eight-month pilot program for hybrid vehicles is due to expire at midnight on June 30, 2006.

To find out if your vehicle qualifies, click here: www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

To find out how to obtain a California Clean Air Vehicle Decal, click here: www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm