Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

Originally Posted by PCK
I can cruise quite a distance with the I-FCD at 65 to 75 mpg (also higher up
to 100 mpg but not often
That fits from what I know of Fla -- flat, and straight. I'd love to take my HCHII across Alligator Alley. I bet I could get well over 60mpg for that trip!

Don

Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

I got the P&G to work. Its actually rather easy, but I find that I can just get up to about 65, then let off the gas and cruise steady, with the "game gauge" to the right of 50 mpg, so as long as it hangs there, I'll do better than EPA. I'm happy with that. The P&G is too much work, I tried CC and it almost ALWAYS pegged me at 50+ also. In fact, I think what I am doing and what CC does is about the same. In either case, I just got my first tank done, will post results.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman
That fits from what I know of Fla -- flat, and straight. I'd love to take my HCHII across Alligator Alley. I bet I could get well over 60mpg for that trip!

Don
Ha! I wish. Quite hilly in some parts, others have a long slight incline. Some nice flat areas yes.

If you want a REALLY flat and long staight stretches of road ... move to Kansas. I was in southwest Kansas for a little while. No traffic, nice roads. It was hard not to speed because everything is so far apart and the scenery isn't very appealing, but I had the Accord then. I am sure I would maintain the limit in the HCH!!! Might get 80+mpg tank average ... makes me want to move back for that. Cost of living was also great, I was in a 2 bedroom house for $280 month.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshelman

Don
I live right at the beginning of Alligator Alley. that might be a nice experiment to
see what I can get. Mostly on my commute I deal with lots of overpass hills and
varied traffic patterns. I leave early enough in morning to avoid traffic backups,
on the return trip the first 11 miles is bumper to bumper and I manage to get
51 mpg by the end of that segment.

I think the key items for me is, the temps have been in the 70's, and
I don't have to deal with any of these winter fuel formulations. Well also
changing my driving habits big time. When it gets to spring temps everywhere
else we should be seeing lots of 60+ mpg tanks.

What I am happy about is the car is not broken in yet and I am easily
beating the EPA on this second tank.

Perry

Old 01-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
Check out this article in the Learn section:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html
I had not read this link until i saw it posted in this thread and I must say incorporating the strategies of this article has taken almost 1L/100KM off the mileage I was acheiving.

There are two distinct strategy differences between this article and the Driving Technique thread.

Previous to reading the quoted thread I was accelerating in the city between 2000 and 2500 rpm to get the limit as quick as possible and then worked on the EV glide.

I am finding now that if I accelerate at around 1500 rpm about 3 bars of assist and slowly let off the accelerater as i reach the posted limit I am acheiving much better mileage. I still incorporate the EV glide but only under perfect conditions i.e. slight downhill stretch or when I know I am approaching a red light.

Great link NAS.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
If you want a REALLY flat and long staight stretches of road ... move to Kansas.
Speaking of Kansas -- it really is "flatter than a pancake."

A team of scientists from Southwest Texas State University and Arizona State University recently published an article in which researchers analyzed the geography both of the state and that of a pancake purchased at International House of Pancakes.

"Simply put, our results show that Kansas is considerably flatter than a pancake," they wrote.

Okay, my work is done here. Back to fuel economy tips for the 2006 HCH.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:45 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by mexiken
I tried CC and it almost ALWAYS pegged me at 50+ also.
I've noticed that too. I wonder why that is. On one stretch of road with a 35mph limit, with CC I get 50-55mpg (according to the I-FCD). Not using CC and carefully modulating the gas pedal myself, I can get the display to read between 60-75mpg and I'm driving 5mph over the limit.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:13 PM

I have now driven my Civic hybrid over 1100 miles in less than a week (I bought the car last Tuesday). I had to drive it home from Sacramento (Northern Cal, I live in So Cal), and I just came back from Vegas. I was able to get 50-75 mpg EASY going up to 80 mph on all but the steepest hills on the way there (I usually hung out between 70 and 75 since the speed limit on the 15 north towards Las Vegas is 75). Those hills however KILLED my average, and knocked them down to the mid 40's range. Any tips for those uphill climbs ????

Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
YA RLY.

50-75 mpg at 80 mph? What's your secret? Are you being towed by a towtruck?

Old 01-15-2006, 05:33 PM

LOL, I don't know. Steady pedal pressure I suppose. I was REALLY contemplating HOW that was possible, it must be because the car is that aero or because I was on flat land, but even on most light to moderate inclines, it does that. In fact, I sometimes have to let the fuel cutoff by taking my foot off the gas, because backing off the gas enough to keep it at a constant speed WON'T do it, at 70+ miles per hour !!!! It will KEEP increasing speed if I don't let off the gas completely !!!! But sure enough, I can get it. I've had my roommate witness it at that speed. Its AMAZING to me. Unfortunately, its those steep uphill climbs that I can't do ANY better than like 25 mpg, or halfway between 0 and 50, which KILLS my mpg. The key though is be on it like an eggshell. I mean, its VERY sensitive as far as pedal pressure is concerned. Also, something like a bump can move your foot, moving the I-FCD or bringing you out of P&G. I only use P&G downhill, because it loses speed, and I'd rather take alittle hit in FE and drive at a constant speed than go fast, slow down, speed up, repeat.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy tips for a new owner of an 06 Civic Hybrid ????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands