FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Good idea

Originally Posted by BowDirk
I am thinking I may just pass the antenna wire through the firewall and mount the antenna on the center/top edge of the hood.
I originally wanted to go through the firewall for my installation, but after looking at it all for a bit I decided that it would be easier to just go the "normal" way. I guess if I ever have a problem with it, I'll go for the firewall routing.

I'm semi-concerned about where the wire comes out from under the weather stripping, it does open up a very small spot where water can now get under the weather stripping. But it's on a downhill slope of the window, and there's so many places where water can get in anyways I have a *very* hard time believing my little addition will cause any problems.

And, it's dry well over 70% of the year where I live, so it won't be a constant exposure, just during the wettest months of the year.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FYI for HCHII owners who have XM, and even those who don't... yet

I got my SkyFi2 unit this weekend and installed it.

I mounted the antenna directly underneath the factory antenna on the roof in the back. I was able to run the wire in the crack around the rear window down near the trunk hinge and into the trunk. Basically invisible and will stay there with no tape glue etc. very clean.

from the inside of the car you can pop the speaker grille off of one of the speakers on the rear deck, thread the wire through and then just tuck the wire down along the edge of the seat and from there under the floor mats up to the front of the car and into the unit.

Easy, fast, clean.

You don't need to get a jack to plug the skyfi unit into the aux port, the Skyfi transmits on FM and works fine, you can save the aux port for you i-pod etc.

Best to all,
Bowdirk

Old 04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
YA RLY.

FM transmitters sound very bad as compared to a proper wired system IMHO.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
FM transmitters sound very bad as compared to a proper wired system IMHO.
I would like to be able to judge the quality of the sound if it wasn't for all the static and fading. Phoenix is not a great area for the FM transmitter thing.