Getting CA HOV stickers with just vin.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Getting CA HOV stickers with just vin.

Ive had quite a few people email or msg me about receiving the hybrid stickers in CA if you do or do not have plates. I made a post when i first got my Civic but no one replied back to it, so people have been wanting to know the outcome. I still see posts in the CA Hybrid thread about Plate-less applications.

I figured there was nothing to loose is i mailed the check in with the application, DMV cant keep your money if they dont send you anything, so worst thing that can happen is they will issue a refund check. If on average it takes DMV 3 months to send you your new plates, and 1 month to get the stickers thats 4 months of waiting!

I sent in my application with the words "Not Issued" in the spot where the Plate number was suppose to go. I also sent a copy of my registration they give you for the window that showed the VIN just incase.

Noticed about 2 weeks later they had cashed my check, in about a week and a half latter i got my stickers in the mail.

Ive heard that peole have even received their stickers with just the VIN number on the for without any problems, even without even having the car yet, since some dealers can tell you your VIN of the car you will be getting.

As expected my plates arrived 2 months after i got my stickers, so it saved me 3 months of waiting for them

On the registration card DMV issues with the stickers the plate field is blank.

-Kris

Old 02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting CA HOV stickers with just vin.

Originally Posted by infinkc

Ive heard that peole have even received their stickers with just the VIN number on the for without any problems, even without even having the car yet, since some dealers can tell you your VIN of the car you will be getting.
That's not going to happen. The DMV will only issue stickers to a vehicle for which they have a record. They create a record only when the dealer sends in the paperwork, after the vehicle is sold.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes the DMV needs to recieve a record the dealer really did sell a hybrid to you.

Otherwise anyone with an $8 check could get stickers.

BTW others have also gotten their sticker when they applied to it befor having the plates.
I did.
See the long thread.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Can that still be done even if you live in a county that requires you to get a fast track pass?

I live in a county that requires a fast track to get the stickers. I noticed the fast track pass requires the license plate. has anyone been able to get a fast track with just a vin number?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Last year, when I got my Civic, I went day after I bought my car and got fast track with only the Vin number.

I got my stickers about 1 month before my plates.