Glowing Hybrid Logo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Glowing Hybrid Logo

Originally Posted by n1ywb
That's PIMP! Can you make me one?
Humm perhaps if I can get the costs down that might be a possability. So far I paid $26 for the extra logo, and $22 for the EL foil, along with $5 for the xacto knife set. Since then I've managed to find the same stuff for much less ($12 for the logo, $12 for the EL foil). I still need to pick up some double sided tape too (add an extra few bucks for that), along with the Krylon spray or 2-ton epoxy. If I can get the costs down enough, and the finished product to look professional then I may just have to pursue this.

As for keeping it self contained, probably not (at least not right away) because it requires a 1" by 1" transformer box thingie to convert it to a higher voltage. HOWEVER, indiglo watches use the exact same technology so I would THINK it is possible. Anyone here own an electronics firm?

Old 04-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Power draw on EL sheets is fairly low - I imagine that it could be possible to set up a LiIon/solar cell charged solution. Though I'd love to whip up an LED-based solution and get rid of the DC-AC circuit all together. Some SMT LEDs and custom 'H Y B R I D' lenses should do the job nicely .

Any place I can get a Hybrid badge so I don't have to kill mine?

Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM

SMT leds is a smart idea. Would some smt caps hold enough charge to keep the leds lit 12 hours? Do you know of any small form factor solar sheets or something to collect solar power and store it?

I can't wait to see some glowing hybrid logos on stickers.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

Caps in the sizes we need aren't going to cut it, so a battery would have to be the way to go. A CR12xx somethingorother should be small enough to fit and have enough capacity to drive the LEDs. If I go nuts I'll probably just slap a 555 timer on there for some pulsing to keep power levels low, but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

There are some fairly small solar cells that should be able to do the job - some impressive power from some small space. Sadly, I'm not sure how the mounting structure is going to look for it. It'd be great to embed it w/ the badge in some way, but I don't think there'd be enough surface area to cut it. Furthermore, the cells I'm thinking of right now are quite brittle, so I'll have to do some research on it.

I'll pine over it some more. This could be some serious fun.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Yeah and if you got the tech down then anyone can use it for any emblem..

Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

I've just finished recutting the HYBRID electroluminescent foil in the opposite direction and am about to head out to get some Krylon and/or 2-ton epoxy to solidify the results to the badge. I'm taking pics and if successful I'll make sure to post them here. As far as the LED idea goes, I ordered small green LEDs here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3880553464

5 bucks for 50, and believe me they are small. I don't plan on using the LEDs (going to stick with the EL foil I think), so whoever is serious about pursueing the LED path, then paypal me $1 and I'll send them to you (dpmitche@gmail.com). I've managed to lose 1 LED already, so there are 49 remaining.

As far as ordering a new badge, check out:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry5=EMBLEMS

$15.07 now, still better than I paid at the dealer ($26).

ttyl,

Devin

Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Eye am teh smartey

Electroluminescant and LEDs are roughly the same efficiency. You can make LEDs brighter than EL but they'll use more power.

LEDs last a lot longer than EL. EL will dim over time. You don't want it on 24-7, wire it to come on with your headlights and it will last a lot longer.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's neato. You should try to get a patent on that or something (if there isn't one already)

Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm watching this thread carefully because I'm buying one from you when you're finished. Customer numero uno right here!

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'll buy one too, that looks great.

Quick Reply: Glowing Hybrid Logo

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands